MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

German WW2 unknown powder bag.

Article about: Guys, Got today from a guy I know that does a bit of digging. He says he has more? Any ideas what its from? Jock

Default German WW2 unknown powder bag.

Guys,

Got today from a guy I know that does a bit of digging. He says he has more? Any ideas what its from?

Jock
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German WW2 unknown powder bag.   German WW2 unknown powder bag.  

Default Re: German WW2 unknown powder bag.

Fraid not Jock but it looks in incredibly good condition for its age. Perhaps too good ?

Cheers

Steve T

?

Does the first line read 0.189kg? Or is the first digit after the decimal not a '1'?
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Does the first line read 0.189kg? Or is the first digit after the decimal not a '1'?
    Matt,

O.189kg.

Steve,

A good source who digs arround the East of Luneburg area, I have no reason to doubt him, I will see what else he has? I will also take some photos in day light.

Not really my bag but he gave me it as a gift.

Jock

A gift ?

What a nice guy !

I have no knowledge of this kind of item Jock so I was really just saying what brilliant condition it's in. As you know, relic collectors like us are extremely suspicious of anything that looks this good

By the way, does he want any more friends ?

Steve T

?

Yeah, but half a powder bag is hardly a valuable item LOL People make fakes of stuff that has at least decent market value

Anyway, that's a small charge- the 8,8cm Flak used nearly 3kg of propellant. I just had a look at the images I have of cutaway rounds and found a 3,7cm Flak that has 0,193kg marked on its propellant bag, so there you go- that's what yours is for. Others read 0,194kg, 0,195kg and one looks like it might be 0,189kg like yours. I don't know exactly why the amounts of propellant varied in a single type of round, but there's always a range- maybe it has to do with the exact type of propellant, or its test qualities or something since certainly the performance has to be relatively consistent.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Guys,

Thanks for info, It is dark already I will do a better photo tomorrow for reference, quite right it is not of great value, I think he's knocking them out at €5 a pop, so knowing him he has dug a box of brass since the bag is in good nick and the brass is already at the scrappy.

Jock

Default Re: German probable 37mm flak powder bag update

Guys,

I think photoraphy is a hobby and a challenge on its own!

Updated photos with the bag slipped over a 37mm round.

Jock
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German WW2 unknown powder bag.   German WW2 unknown powder bag.  

German WW2 unknown powder bag.