MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

grenade

Article about: Hello people im at work doing a routine gas cut off for a property thats going to be demolished and in the shed where the gas meter is was what looks like a smoke grenade anyone know if it i

Default grenade

Hello people im at work doing a routine gas cut off for a property thats going to be demolished and in the shed where the gas meter is was what looks like a smoke grenade anyone know if it is a smoke grenade or not? Sorry for the pics im at work and its from my moble.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture grenade  

Looks very much like a smoke grenade to me, and I have thrown quite a few over the years.

However i would still be careful.

It does look like a smoke Grenade too me also.
    But, I would still be very careful.
    John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Any idea what the red line round it would be for?

Possibly to indicate the color of the smoke?

If memory serves me right, this is a Second World War British Smoke Grenade. Red, as said would likely the colour...... However, don't take this as a fact as it might turn out to be that red bands indicate something else, for example phosphorous which is incredibly nasty stuff. I'd personally stay on the side of caution and treat it as live, and keep it well out of the way of anyone, and outside in an area where it won't do any damage if it is something other than a smoke grenade. I'd also let the authorities know, things like this do become unstable after time like all unexploded ordnance, and if it were to go off by accident these things do give off a massive amount of heat, which could then bring a world of problems.

Thanks

Danny

It looks American to me...we used identical ones in the US Army, and Danny is correct that they give off a lot of heat...My biggest concern is that there may be other more dangerous ordnance buried there...but as long as you don't pull that pin you should be alright...
    cheers, Glenn

Here we go! Its a No.83 Smoke Grenade

Grenade hand smoke No 83 Red Mk 2 Sectioned (MUN 1607)

Thanks

Danny