Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

A guide to headstamps

Article about: I thought I would do a quick guide to cartridge headstamps. I know many of us are well aware of what all the stamps mean, but some people don’t and I think it would be useful to those people

?

These are indeed US 30.06 military blank cartridges, your thoughts are correct. A paper wadding was used instead of a crimp and you probably noticed a white powder residue fall out if these were not fired.

US "Lake City - 1969" - likely 30-06.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks blokes ~ frustrating not to be able to ID an item !

PRE
    ?

Gentlemen,
    I didn't see the following links in discussion, so please forgive me if I missed them and am passing on redundant information.

Here are two very useful sites for cartridge identification. the first one is well known in the USA, while the second isn't as well known, but highly useful. The second is in Spanish, but if you don't read that language, I'd imagine a Google Translate page would help you where you need it:

Headstamp Codes - International Ammunition Association

MUNICION.ORG - Coleccionismo de cartuchería

At Municion.org, simply find the vertical menu on the upper left hand side, click on 'Fuego Central' (centerfire), and choose from the very large list of calibers displayed. Headstamps are displayed as pictures of actual examples, and provide nation of origin, factory, year, et al. There is a 'main page' for each caliber which gives a brief history of each, and displays known variants in color. A very useful resource. I hope this helps-

Pat

F585
    ?

Can anyone tell me where these were manufactured?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A guide to headstamps   A guide to headstamps  

Thanks for the info!

Default 88mm?

I picked this up for my husband in Switzerland. Any thoughts? The stamps seem contradictory to me, but I know next to nothing about the topic! Many thanks for any info you could share.A guide to headstampsA guide to headstampsA guide to headstamps

PRE
    ?

Emmy Curtis, do you have a full length pic of the rest of the cartridge (case)? That would help to narrow it down, as would measurements of the inside neck diameter and overall length, if you're able to provide them.
    Best,
    Pat

Quote by PRE View Post
    Emmy Curtis, do you have a full length pic of the rest of the cartridge (case)? That would help to narrow it down, as would measurements of the inside neck diameter and overall length, if you're able to provide them.
    Best,
    Pat
    My husband's home (I know this sounds bad!) so I can't take photos of it (i'ts a b/day present) but it's 9 inches long and 3.5 inches in diameter and brass - at least I'm fairly sure it's brass. It's pretty heavy too.

Sorry I can't be more help, and I appreciate you trying to help!

Robbo Rossco
    ?

Default please help me identify this sucker. i can find nothing.

gday. i literally can find no info on this badboy. please help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A guide to headstamps   A guide to headstamps  

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast