Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

A guide to headstamps

Article about: I thought I would do a quick guide to cartridge headstamps. I know many of us are well aware of what all the stamps mean, but some people don’t and I think it would be useful to those people

Hey Blokes Just back from a Hunt and turned up a cartridge shell ~ in a 19 Century site ~

Marked I think 'GK B'

I assume it is George Kynoch Birmingham

But no idea what the firearm is ~

Rough measure says ID projectile 12mm Case base OD 17mm, rim OD 20mm and 59.5mm length!

In superb condition too~ considering thsi has to have been laying there for < 100 plus years >

Any clues ?

A guide to headstamps

A guide to headstamps

PRE
    ?

Emmy,
    Sorry, but I'm stumped! Most of my experience is in small arms and not as much with ordnance types larger than that.
    Best,
    Pat

?

From your rough measurements it sounds like a 577/450 Martini-Henry....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Zwerge
    Thanks ~ I said to the boys ~ that I guessed it may be a Martini ~ but I was guessing but purely based on time frame ~ logically it would fit ~

Thanks

It's surely a .577/.450 Martini - Henry Boxer shell, British made by Georges Kynoch de Birmingham and dated approximately 1885.
    See measurements and identical shell like yours, G.K.B stamped (code:EBD0011), on this site.
    .577/.450 Martini - Henry Boxer M. 1871 / MUNICION.ORG
    Regards, Aghs.

is there away to re upload the head stamp photos, shows the missing photo bucket

CBH
    ?

I dont think there is, thats why the Mods are always after poster not to use photo hosting sites.
    Threads become useless when the photos disappear.

Default looking for info

true, was just wondering for info on mine its a 40mm drill round 1944 mk 111 and looks like J. A. just looks for who used it what the mk lll and j. a. means?

A guide to headstamps

A guide to headstamps

Hi all

Just found the following headstamp and was readig earlier in the post that most german cartridges have 4 headstamps, I found this cartridge in Germany but it only has 3? Its K98 cartridge size but don;t quote me thats where it is from!
    Can someone let me know:-
    1. Is it German?
    2. What each of the stamps mean?

It reads S67 9 17
    A guide to headstampsA guide to headstamps
    Thanks
    Mark

?

Hi,the S67 means a spitzer pointed bullet in a case made from 67% copper,the 9 and 17 is the 9th month of 1917,the reason there is no maker initial is because it was not a government arsenal but a commercial made case for the government......Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast