Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

A guide to headstamps

Article about: I thought I would do a quick guide to cartridge headstamps. I know many of us are well aware of what all the stamps mean, but some people don’t and I think it would be useful to those people

what could you say about this round? as for dimensions it should be a Mauser 7.92/57, it's a German thrench and there was no active combats,they took place about a kilometre away ,though dimensions are not exactly as those I found on the web,and I don't know how accurate they should be. as for the stamp I haven't found any similar in the tables - FN 9. 35 . the place it was found should refer to 44-45. another round I found at the same place.it's too damaged to identify it,should be a smaller calibre than Mausere and shorter,but the stamp is quite interesting - it's in the groove and is high. once I started cleaning the groove I realized I could damage it and stopped until I find a way to cleand it without damaging. finding what those round were could help me to identify the bolt I found at the spot. I haven't found yet anything resembling the bolt from what I could find on the web about the weapons used by Germans,have widened my search looking for weapons used by other countries,though in vain yet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A guide to headstamps   A guide to headstamps  

A guide to headstamps   A guide to headstamps  

?

The first case is a 7.65x54mm Belgian Mauser made by Fabrique Nationale (FN) in September 1935.

The second is a 6.5x52mm Italian Carcano. I cannot read the date or the manufacturer but it looks like 1936 (936). The Italians did not put the "i" in front of the date.

Both these rifles could have been used by German second line troops.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

One day I will be quick enough to get an ID in before you Tony.........one day.....

?

Ah, I may be old but I am fast!

Cheers
    Tony

Hello Tony,
    I'm always amazed at your speed of identification, so not surprised that you were quicker than Steve T, (not questioning your skills Steve).
    Hoping you are well and thank you for all the help you have given me over the years.
    Cheers,
    Guy.

?

That is very kind of you. thank you.

Regards
    Tony

Thanks everybody for replies,especially Tony,the fastest one,yet the mystery remains unsolved- the bolt does not match those rifles.there should be something else. I will continue the search
    Regards
    Mike

yet another stupid question from a dummy about the same cartridge,Mauser 7.65/54. 54 supposed to be the length of the case,but this one has defenitely the length of 57 mm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A guide to headstamps  

?

It could be 7x57mm or7.92x57mm,now you need to measure the diameter of the bullet itself,I thought the neck looked too long to be a 7.65x54...Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

it's quite difficult to measure the bullet for sure as it has got extensive damage,but looks like it could be 8.2mm, as the Mauser 7.92/57, and the total length of 81mm, while the Belgian Mauser must have 76mm and 7.92 82mm. if it's 7.92/57 than the Belgian headstamp does not add up,but experts might have an explanation to this, Fabrique Nationale could have produced 7.92/57

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast