Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

gun tampions

Article about: opinions please guys on this pair of tampions

Cool gun tampions

opinions please guys on this pair of tampionsgun tampionsgun tampions

probably post WW1

HMS Jellicoe was to have been a KGV class battleship but it's name was changed whilst still on the blocks to HMS Anson. It was launched in 1940 and was the only ship in a class of 3 that never fired it's guns in anger. The Wyvern is the correct heraldic symbol for Jellicoe, and the tampions look very similar to ones that were used on the Anson, as can be seen here:

HMS Anson Tampion

And here:

HMS Anson Tampion

And the vessel itself:

HMS Anson (79) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

cheers ned in theory that should make these pretty rare then ??

Quote by kevin1947 View Post
    cheers ned in theory that should make these pretty rare then ??
    Well, assuming they're off her main armament of 10 x 14" guns, then yes. They would have only have cast enough for the job i'd of thought, with perhaps a couple spare. I would think that the small production number probably makes little monetary difference to their worth, so I guess the prices given in the links give a clue to value if buying from a dealer.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned-there were 5 KG Vs built-seems strange that tampions would have been made for a ship so long before completion as to be incorrect in name.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Ned-there were 5 KG Vs built-seems strange that tampions would have been made for a ship so long before completion as to be incorrect in name.
    I think the term "so long before completion" is a moot point, who knows when? Don't get me wrong, i'm not entirely sure they're 100% genuine, but they look right compared to others in the links and it's not the sort of thing you see for sale everyday. I see no reason they may not be the real deal as that they could be bogus, but I do like the look of 'em!

The only way to prove it either way is for them to be looked at by someone in the know imo.

Regards, Ned.