Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help Identify Please, found on Guam

Article about: Found this on Guam, anyone recognize it? Has 12 grooves from rifling. The way it is corroded it looks to be mostly steel with 3 rotating bands that look copper and not corroded. The tip is t

1981rk
    ?

Default Help Identify Please, found on Guam

Found this on Guam, anyone recognize it? Has 12 grooves from rifling. The way it is corroded it looks to be mostly steel with 3 rotating bands that look copper and not corroded. The tip is threaded and looks copper.

Default Re: Help Identify Please, found on Guam

It's a light Artillery round of some form.20mm many be?
    Has this been checked as safe?It could be still live.

Looks like a light arty round alright

?

It is a Japanese Navy 25mm Hotchkiss round, but without the colour of the shell body it is impossible to tell which type.

However, with the exception of the practice ball round that had a dummy fuze, all fuzed rounds were explosive of one type or another, HE, HEI, HET etc. From the length of the shell body I suspect it is the "Common High Explosive" which contained 262 grains of a TNT/aluminium mix. If so it would be fitted with a Type 1 fuze.

Since it is unlikely that it would be a practice ball in a combat zone please ensure it is not still live.

Regards
    Tonye
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

I agree with Tonye, I believe it looks similar to the one on the top right which is a High Explosive, Armor Peircing, Anti Aircraft round. It also looks very much "live."

Burt

?

Are you sure that your round on the top right is a 25mm Hotchkiss? The shape of the bourellet and the case proportions look wrong to me. It looks more like a Ho1/Ho3 20mm. Can you post a better picture of the round please?

It is hard to tell from the picture but if it has a narrow red band half way down the shell and a yellow and green band below that it is a high explosive incendiary tracer, not armour piercing.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

TonyE,
    To clarify, the round in the picture (top Right) I was just using for an example, not a exact match for what he had. I researched it previously but can't remember exactly what the MM was. There is a moderm US 20MM practice round just below it for comparison. Also you are correct with the high explosive incendiary tracer ID, my bad. It's been a while since I ID'd it for sure. I printed out the info and have it at home. I'll see if I can find it tonight. The original cardboard case with Japanese kanji is right above it also. This piece was captured at Guadalcanal along with a Knee mortar round still in the can with a fuze.

Thanks

Burt

?

I suggest you don't handle it and call the authorities to take a look at it.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I suggest you don't handle it and call the authorities to take a look at it.
    Good sound advice there Adrian! The authorities may confiscate it but better that than it going bang!!!! These things may not be that big but they still have considerable blast and incendiary effect. Regards, Tim.

1981rk
    ?

Yes, it appeared to be live still. Out of my hands now. I guess this happens a lot here, kind of disturbing that it was sitting in the dirt where some recent construction had taken place. Kids walk in the same area. What is a Type 1 fuze? I looked up this round on the Internet and saw some cutaway pictures of it, looked identical. What was the screw that goes into the side of the tip for? Thanks for all the replies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast