Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Help identifying cases

Article about: Hi. I've recently inherited some shell cases and what appears to be a fuze of some description from a relative, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they are? First the big one.

Default Help identifying cases

Hi. I've recently inherited some shell cases and what appears to be a fuze of some description from a relative, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they are?

First the big one. This is 285mm tall by 57mm in diameter. There are a lot of markings on the bottom, but I've not been able to identify it. It looks like Vickers iii ii 1907 RL 6707 N8

(Click for larger pics)

Next is what looks like the mother of all bullets! This is 93mm tall by 26mm diameter. (Case only) The markings on the bottom read EOC VE, and the head is marked LS either side of a star. I'm pretty certain EOC is Elswick Ordnance Company, but that's all I've got. There is a copper ring around the head just above the markings.

Lastly is a fuze. This is 65mm tall by 65mm in diameter, I think it might be a time one based on the scale stamped round the edge.

There are two others, but I'm pretty certain that one is from a 6 pounder Hotchkiss, and the other is a 2 pounder no 1. I live on the coast near to a WWII airfield, so suspect that they're either naval or anti aircraft.

Thanks for any light you're able to shed!

With regards, Chris

?

Default Re: Help identifying cases

Hi,I am almost positive the case you describe as 93x26mm is the 1" Nordenfelt cartridge ( 25x94mm ) Do a Google search and see what you think...Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

The fuse is a No 80 Mk VII Time and Percussion Fuse, made in March 1918 by Vickers. It was used on the 18-Pounder Shrapnel Shell, and as you say, could be time set with the scale for airburst.

The 'big one', is definitely a naval shell case, as shown by the Broad Arrow over N (for Naval) over 8 marking. Is the diameter you give for the top opening of the case, and therefore the shell's calibre? I have a feeling it's for the Hotchkiss 6-Pounder Gun, but I'm not 100% sure.

Rob
    Last edited by Battery Command Post; 03-12-2012 at 11:22 PM.

I've Googled the 1" Nordenfelt, it looks like a likely candidate. I've tried searching for 1" shells and haven't been able to find anything else so that's probably it.

That sounds like a definite ID on the fuse, thanks!

Yes, the diameter I gave was for the mouth of the casing so should correspond to the calibre. If it does turn out to be for the six-pounder Hotchkiss I'll post pictures of the one that I thought was the Hotchkiss shell as it's different. The calibre appears to be the same, but the case is slightly taller, and it's necked. That one is marked 57mm L/40 LK EOC JM 1914, and what looks like CH inside a diamond.

?

Your small rounds are certainly either 1 inch Nordenfelt or 1 inch Aiming Rifle (they use the same case), but if they are Nordenfelt they are not British service issue. British Nordenfelt rounds all had a brass envelope over the lower half of the steel bullet, not a driving band like yours. They could be for an export contract or they could be the "Ctge 1 inch Aiming Rifle Percussion Cordite with Special Steel Bullet Mark I".

Is there a headstamp on them? Can you post close-up pictures of the bullet and the base please.

With regard to the larger 57mm (6 Pdr) it sounds like you have both a Nordenfelt and a Hotchkiss. EOC is the Elswick Ordnance Company, a subsidiary of Vickers.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Ah, that was what threw me with the Nordenfelt pictures I found, the case seemed to go much further up the bullet. I've done my best with pictures of the headstamp and the base. (Click to enlarge)

The headstamp is LS either side of a star. The other side is stamped EOC. (Not pictured)

The base is stamped EOC, VE

These are the two big shell cases I have. The one on the left is the one I believed to be from a six-pounder Hotchkiss, next to the Vickers one.