Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Help indentifying a cartridge

Article about: Just took a walk down by the local beach and found this cartridge. It's 5.3 cm in total length and the back measures 1.2 cm in diameter. There's a hole that's drilled all the way through rig

Default Help indentifying a cartridge

Just took a walk down by the local beach and found this cartridge. It's 5.3 cm in total length and the back measures 1.2 cm in diameter.
    There's a hole that's drilled all the way through right above the base, I figure that's got something to do with this having been made inert before dumping in the sea. On the back I can barely make out "AT" or "AF"... could it be "RAF"? Not sure.... most of the stuff down by the beach should be Luftwaffe or Heer, so...

Any help would be appreciated.

Only shot I had time to upload before battery went dead... I'm charging the battery now and will add more asap:

Last edited by slados28; 04-22-2012 at 08:01 PM.

?

Default Re: Help indentifying a cartridge

The case length of 53mm suggests it could be a 7.62x53R, The Finnish version of the 7.62x54R, and "SAT" was a Finnish headstamp code form the 1920s.

However, the shape looks all wrong and also the neck too small. What is the diameter of the neck to give us an idea of calibre, as it is difficult to gauge from the photograph.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

?

It could be a 6.5x53R which is 3rd from the left in this picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images Help indentifying a cartridge 
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Thanks to both of you for the help! Just measured the neck, which might seem a bit smaller than it really is in the photos due to it being somewhat deformed, and it measures 6.5 mm... so, could the headstamp that is barely visible, showing what's definetly an "A", fit in with this being a 6.5x53R like mentioned above?

Could this be a Romanian 6.5x53R due to the possible similarity in headstamps as mentioned in this link 6,5x54R Mannlicher Romanian [Archive] - wk2ammo

Info on the Romanian made 6.5x53R quoted from the link posted above:

"The 6.5X53R rimmed cartridge was used by the Dutch and Romanian Army until 1945. The Germans also manufactured during WW2 in Austria the 6.5X53R round with a steel cartridge case [I have a few] for weapons captured in 1940 from the Dutch Army, weapons used against the Allies during D-Day and after."

Any thoughts?

?

This could be the HS you have,it is Dutch,the AI means Artillerie Inrichtingen,which is the arsenal,36A is production date.....Pete.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help indentifying a cartridge   Help indentifying a cartridge  

JEDEM DAS SEINE

That's most definitely it! Thank you again, Pete! Upon cleaning the back some more I can also definitely make out a "3" and the font of the "AI" marking matches up perfectly... "mystery" solved