Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help needed with cannon ball?

Article about: Can any Forum member help to identify what I believe 'may' be a cannon ball? It has a lead 'plug' which suggests it 'may' be hollow? However it weights on my scales 12lb and has a diameter o

mjw
    ?

Default Help needed with cannon ball?

Can any Forum member help to identify what I believe 'may' be a cannon ball? It has a lead 'plug' which suggests it 'may' be hollow? However it weights on my scales 12lb and has a diameter of about 4.5 inches. There does not appear to be any casting line around the circumference, although this may not be clearly visible. Any suggestions from shot put to shrapnel shell will be most welcome! Kind regards, Malcolm.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help needed with cannon ball?   Help needed with cannon ball?  

How much does it weigh? It should be fairly easy from the volume to estimate it's expected weight if it was solid.

It appears to be the counterweight off a fly press. They are always going 'missing' for use at stag parties as part of a ball and chain etc.

Fly Press: Business, Office & Industrial | eBay

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

mjw
    ?

Hello Ned, Many thanks for the helpful reply. It is much appreciated. Kind regards, Malcolm.

Kradspam. It weights 12ib and has a diameter of 4.5 inches.

Standard solid shot weight for cannon bores was 6 pound,12 pound, 24 pound and 32 pound. If there are no seams on it or flat spots anywhere and it is Perfectly round, it is likely your standard 12 pounder solid shot. Where was it found? The "plug" could be a welding spot from having been permanently stacked together for a display.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

mjw
    ?

Hello Wagriff,

Many thanks for the interesting reply. It does not seem to have any seam that I can see and appears to be fully round. I bought it at a local car boot sale, origin unknown! Kind regards, Malcolm.