Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help Please Id

Article about: My father-in-law gave this to me before he passed on. He told me that he got it in Italy. I got some info from the sticky about the headstamps, BTW that sticky answered half my questions, th

Wild Bill
    ?

Default Help Please Id

My father-in-law gave this to me before he passed on. He told me that he got it in Italy. I got some info from the sticky about the headstamps, BTW that sticky answered half my questions, thumbs up to the person that wrote it.

My question now is can anyone tell me what cal and what MG the belt was used in?
    I know the big one is 50 cal. I found the case and bullet on the Oregon coast and put them togeather. And I just found out that it was not as old as I thought. (headstamp sticky again)

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...1&d=1252994206
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Please Id  

Default Re: Help Please Id

Hi Bill, welcome to the forum!

The belt is for the German MG34 and MG42 light machine guns. Cal is 7.92mm.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Spot on Ade !!!
    (Shouldn't you be on the way to the Ferry ???? ... if not send your tickets to me !!!! .... Have a good time )

Gary J.

Thanks Gary, we leave for Arnhem later today. (Night ferry)

Cheers, Ade.

Bill

Ade is spot on with his description but he missed out on one thing. The cartridge you have is upside down in the link The little clip on the narrow 'tail' slots into the rim at the base of the cartridge.

Steve T

i see on the mg bullet an stipe down to the bottem.

this means that it is used for the second time. re-filled.

Quote by Wild Bill View Post
    My father-in-law gave this to me before he passed on. He told me that he got it in Italy. I got some info from the sticky about the headstamps, BTW that sticky answered half my questions, thumbs up to the person that wrote it.

My question now is can anyone tell me what cal and what MG the belt was used in?
    I know the big one is 50 cal. I found the case and bullet on the Oregon coast and put them togeather. And I just found out that it was not as old as I thought. (headstamp sticky again)

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...1&d=1252994206
    Hello Bill,
    This belt of blanks was given to me about ten years ago by chap in a local pub who knew I had an interest in militaria. It cost me one pint of beer! I think he found them whilst doing a house clearance but can't confirm that as he has sadly gone the way we all will.
    There are a mixture of headstamps. Some 7.62x51 HK-75-17, and some 7.62x51 DAG-75-29.
    I imagine that they are for a more modern NATO LMG which would explain why they are not in the WW2 German calibre? I'm sure one of our ammo experts will tell us. The belt looks very similar to the MG 34.
    Best regards,
    navyman.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Please Id  

?

They look like plastic training blanks.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    They look like plastic training blanks.
    Hello swerge,
    Yes, they are definitely training blanks, but I've not seen 7.62's in this type of belt before.
    Best regards,
    navyman.

The belt is almost certainly MG34/42. The tell tale sign is the 'spring' between the links. Later versions, and those used by nato, I believe were solid metal 'rods' rather than 'springs' (I have both versions and the 'rod' type are definitely later than WW2.

BUT....and it's a big but....i've never seen MG34/42 links with the holes in the links as shown on yours. The only ones I see are solid links, with no holes.

I know that answers your question then asks another but hey ! I am only human

Steve T

PS The numbers refer to the year (75) and batch number (17 and 29).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.