Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

identifying hand grenade

Article about: I have two pinapple grenades I vought when I was younger. But know im not sure if they are authentic or replicas. Like I said the are pinapple shaped both with holes cut out in the bottom of

Default identifying hand grenade

I have two pinapple grenades I vought when I was younger. But know im not sure if they are authentic or replicas. Like I said the are pinapple shaped both with holes cut out in the bottom of it. All one solid piece except a slight seem line on either side where the two peices can together. On the side of the grenade are the letters " RFX " also on the side is the number 5 and towards the bottom on the side the number 2. Towards the neck of the side of the grenade looks like maybe a 7 then two things I cant make out then the letter J. The part with the pin says on the top of it... FUZZ M228 MEI89E 009-007 if any one can help me out please do so. I can send pics to emails and phones thx

Default Re: identifying hand grenade

Photos would help us!...

I think the M228 fuze is the training fuze and the lever should be blue (or have a blue spot, dipped in blue paint, etc), not unusual to find this fuze. It's hard to tell from just your description if the body of the grenades are original or re-cast copies.

It's quite easy to add pictures to your thread and there are threads in the forum giving advice on the subject if you need help.

Im new to site and will try to figure out how to post pics lol

identifying hand grenadeidentifying hand grenadeI have one just like that I think its a repro sorry its sideways.

Thats what mine looks like csm gary. Except the ink on the top of the fuse isnt that dark. Is the entire thind a repro or some of it and how do u tell. Still trying to figure out how to post pics on here.

The above is a modern dummy/replica grenade body with a genuine practice fuse.
    These M228 fuses are actually for the M69 'baseball' type grenades. There are
    also differences in the replica 'RFX' bodies - the way they are cast, etc,
    compared to originals. ( A WWII fuse will not fit into a replica body )

Below are pics of a 1950's practice grenade with correct fuse, and a
    MKII 'pineapple' Grenade of WWII ( Note the long levers )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture identifying hand grenade   identifying hand grenade  

Last edited by Walkwolf; 03-19-2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Additions.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Below - An example of a 'baseball' type practice grenade with a
    M228 fuse - which is correct for this type of grenade
    ( Note the sharp bend in the lever ).........

Image Detail for - M69 Practice - Stingray's Explosive Device Archive
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 03-19-2013 at 08:42 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.