Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Interesting US WW2 50cal. Box

Article about: Enjoy this interesting WW2 US 50cal. Wooden ammo Box...BILL

?

Default Re: Interesting US WW2 50cal. Box

Well, I looked and actually found a couple of pix. I don't remember where I got them but they are more than likely from ebay.
    Hope this helps.
    Bill
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting US WW2 50cal. Box   Interesting US WW2 50cal. Box  

?

I should also add I THINK they were new made replicas, but I have seen the ones from WW2 and they are very close if not exactly the same !
    Bill

Kletimostaph
    ?

Very nice, that helps some more. I have a few of the original forged wing nuts. I think i have 3 of them (maybe 4). Those that you have there are very nice and right on the money with what I have here. Unfortunately, due to the age of these boxes and poor storage, the screws that come up through the lid have come loose or missing completely from some of the boxes. Though, the majority of them are in very good condition.

Thank you for the insight on the finger joints. That helps a lot. I may do some more research into the "finger joint". I always assumed that boxes/furniture/etc were not going to last long when made in that manner. Most of the furniture that I come into contact with are "dove tailed" and seem to stand up better than finger jointed. That is just based on my experience with old furniture though. Thank you very much.

~Kletimostaph

?

Yes, you are right about dovetailed furniture. I was thinking about the machinery we had at my first job and was thinking that it was a dovetail making machine and not finger joint because the crates and boxes we made to last longer were big and needed tough joints. It was the display box job that did fingerjoints because they were cleaner looking and made for less waste of the more expensive woods we used when evening up the edges.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3