Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Interesting US WW2 50cal. Box

Article about: Enjoy this interesting WW2 US 50cal. Wooden ammo Box...BILL

Default Interesting US WW2 50cal. Box

Enjoy this interesting WW2 US 50cal. Wooden ammo Box...BILL
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting US WW2 50cal. Box   Interesting US WW2 50cal. Box  

Interesting US WW2 50cal. Box  
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Default Re: Interesting US WW2 50cal. Box

All the information plus a 'picture' of the linked ammo' I think I've ever saw one of those.

I just got a box similar to that for Christmas. It's marked .30 CAL M-1. Any idea what the nuts looked like for it?

Brad

?

Quote by Formerjughead View Post
    I just got a box similar to that for Christmas. It's marked .30 CAL M-1. Any idea what the nuts looked like for it?

Brad
    The examples I had were all wingnuts on the lids.

Quote by gew98 View Post
    The examples I had were all wingnuts on the lids.
    Like big folded pieces of sheet metal wing nuts or were they cast? any pictures?

Brad

?

Forged wing nuts. I never took pics of those crates... they were fairly common 20 years ago .

Kletimostaph
    ?

Smile Re: Interesting US WW2 50cal. Box

First I'd like to say I created an account just because of this post. I found about 100 or so of these boxes. After about 6 hours of trying to figure out where they came from and what time frame they were from, I found this post. Google wasn't much help until I sifted enough to find this site. Here are some pics of about half the boxes in my possession now.

http://kletimostaph.com/Files/images...S/DSC04532.JPG
    http://kletimostaph.com/Files/images...S/DSC04533.JPG
    http://kletimostaph.com/Files/images...S/DSC04534.JPG

This is really a great site, I have ya'll bookmarked for future research!

Also, I have found only one of the boxes to have the wing-nuts. All the rest are between good-excellent shape. I will have to take a picture of that one when I get it out.

Welcome Kletimostaph, I think it may be safe that by your slang your probably from the U.S. ??

I personally don't have one of those crates but would love to own one. What is your opinion of it's time frame?

rgds, Tyrone

Kletimostaph
    ?

Quote by Ty Revelo View Post
    Welcome Kletimostaph, I think it may be safe that by your slang your probably from the U.S. ??

I personally don't have one of those crates but would love to own one. What is your opinion of it's time frame?

rgds, Tyrone
    Actually, yes, I am from the US. More specific would be Texas.

I am not sure what you mean by "opinion of it's time frame". If I were to guess, I would assume you are referring as to what time frame they come from. Well, in answer to the question. I believe them to be early to late 40's. Although, I was only able to find very little information about them. Other searches that I came across lead me to eBay. There, I found only one posting that listed the wing-nuts for sale. The listing said that they were from WW2.

The best I can conclude is that the boxes themselves are from WW2 and rare. However, I am not an expert in Militaria. I know some things due to the nature of my business (work for an auction company). I believe them to be rare simply because I can not find a lot of information about them. Even the Militaria enthusiast websites that I have come across (listing about every type of ammo box ever in existence) did not have these specific boxes. Right now, all I'm really doing is shooting in the dark.

~Kletimostaph

?

These boxes were produced in huge quantities during WWII as they were used to rearm aircraft (among other things) here in the U.K. if you watch original colour combat of the 8 th USAAF in Britain you can see these boxes being used.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast