Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Type 97 Hand Grenade

Article about: Japanese Type 97 Hand Grenade.......BILL

Default Japanese Type 97 Hand Grenade

Japanese Type 97 Hand Grenade.......BILL
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Type 97 Hand Grenade   Japanese Type 97 Hand Grenade  

Japanese Type 97 Hand Grenade  
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Default Re: Japanese Type 97 Hand Grenade

Very nice. Those are hard to find.
    SteveR

?

hi bill , i have read and enjoyed your posts for some time now . always a fine selection of high quality items .thanks for sharing your collection on the forum . very informative and interesting . a beauty of a type 97 .....paul

I have one of these that my granddad brought back from Iwo Jima... stumbled on this thread whilst searching for some information about it. What can you tell me about these?
    I'll have to post some pics up of it. It's not in such nice condition as yours, but a neat relic nonetheless.
    Dave

Quote by DRafalske View Post
    I have one of these that my granddad brought back from Iwo Jima... stumbled on this thread whilst searching for some information about it. What can you tell me about these?
    I'll have to post some pics up of it. It's not in such nice condition as yours, but a neat relic nonetheless.
    Dave
    I hope it is deactivated
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Ha! Yes, it's deactivated. As the story goes, he found it somewhere near where he had been camped. A "dud", if you will. Not sure if that's true - he died many years ago; before I ever got the chance to ask him the true story. I've read elsewhere that these were known for being unreliable, so that seems plausible enough.
    D

?

Can I ask who deactivated it, was it your grandad or someone else and how was it done ?

The explosive charge has been removed, although some residue remains on the sides. There are scrape marks inside as if a spoon or perhaps even a bayonet was used to remove it. I believe the firing pin is also missing as are the pull pin and cap. No idea who did the disarming. I presume it was my grandfather himself. I was a young kid when he passed away, but from what I remember of him he was the kind of guy who have had no qualms about unscrewing the cap and scooping out the explosive.
    I will try to take some detailed photos and post them up when I get home from work.
    Dave