Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

L15A1 Mine Anti-Tank???

Article about: Hello all I have a question about what i believe is a L15A1 Anit tank mine Practice. A Family friend who was looking in second hand stores and asking about Militaria for me was shown this ob

Default L15A1 Mine Anti-Tank???

Hello all

I have a question about what i believe is a L15A1 Anit tank mine Practice. A Family friend who was looking in second hand stores and asking about Militaria for me was shown this object and the owner of the store photocopied the instruction manual for me but i cant seem to find any info on this object!

Any help or info on this would be great as i would like to know if its ww2 or newer or who even made and would have used this round?

thanks again

Adanac00

Default Re: L15A1 Mine Anti-Tank???

With a designation of L15A1 (The L & A) designations came into use in the 1950's so I'd say definatly not WW2 (Unless the L15A1 was used under the old system of No. and Mk of course).

We were using British Mk7 AT mines that were dated 1959 in EOD tasks in Iraq back in 2005 so I guess The L & A designator was first used in the 1960s on mines. I have to admit I've never heard of a L15A1, the only mines I thought the british were using were the last of the Mk7s and the new Barmines. Could it be a US M15A1?

I dont know and i am having alot of truble finding an anything on this!

The seller at the 2nd hand store photo copyied some papers that were with it and the only name i can get off it is that "mine Anti-Tank L15A1 Practice"
    there is a date py 7/21/45 on it but thats about all i can see!

Any help from anyone would be great!

Can you post a picture please.

Thanks

Steve T

There is no such device as an L15A1 Anti tank mine. The code is for the 155mm H.E round fired by the FH-70 (Field Howitzer-70) designed by Vickers GB and companies in Germany and Italy. It entered U.K. service in 1978, and saw it's first action in the 1982 Falklands conflict. It is however, usable as an anti tank ROUND.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.