Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Lets talk 98k ammo?

Article about: Hello Everyone: I have been buying and collecting anything K98 related for a long time like most of you and some of you are just getting started. But, I'm sure as you all know ammo is hard t

?

Default Re: Lets talk 98k ammo?

That ammo is 8x56R for the Steyr M95 rifle,your headstamps are from after the German takeover of Austria,here`s a pic of an M95 carbine...Pete.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lets talk 98k ammo?  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Quote by zwerge View Post
    That ammo is 8x56R for the Steyr M95 rifle,your headstamps are from after the German takeover of Austria,here`s a pic of an M95 carbine...Pete.
    Thanks Pete! I may like this even more!!

Quote by NDShooter View Post
    I have no plans on shoothing this ammo, I handload my own for shooting in my K98. I use pretty much the same load data as used by the Germans.

and Yes, that turkish ammo is not worth what people are asking...
    Could you give the load you are using? I am starting to reload (got a dillon press) and have been a little confused over the variety of 8mm out there (8 mm, 8x57, 8x57 js etc). I also have a bandoleer of the turkish - I thought I could use the brass but I think it is berdan primed.
    Thanks
    Joe

?

My apologies to NDShooter!

We all have to learn some how and some way! Those bullets for the Steyr are getting spendy hold on to it!

I'll message you about the load data.

?

Quote by josephc View Post
    Could you give the load you are using? I am starting to reload (got a dillon press) and have been a little confused over the variety of 8mm out there (8 mm, 8x57, 8x57 js etc). I also have a bandoleer of the turkish - I thought I could use the brass but I think it is berdan primed.
    Thanks
    Joe
    One of the most accurate loads I have tried in 98k's is 50 gns of IMR 4350 powder behind a Sierra 200 gn BTHP .323 bullet. Another good all round load is 48 gns of IMR 4064 behind a 170 gn Hornady RN .323 bullet.

Quote by gew98 View Post
    One of the most accurate loads I have tried in 98k's is 50 gns of IMR 4350 powder behind a Sierra 200 gn BTHP .323 bullet. Another good all round load is 48 gns of IMR 4064 behind a 170 gn Hornady RN .323 bullet.
    That data is good, I actually have used just about the same as gew98 before. I like to use Hornady's 196gr BTHP Match .323 bullet for my 98ks.
    I gotta look at what gr I used but IMR 4350 is what I use for a lot of my reloading.

I use Romanian surplus 8mm.. still seems pretty plentiful here.

This is what's left from my surplus stockpile. I used to buy a lot back when it was really cheap. I hardly shoot anymore.

Luke

Lets talk 98k ammo?

Yes, I have a couple crates of Romanian 7.92 left, but you just cant order it for a low price anymore...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2