Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

a little bit of help from an idiot

Article about: I suppose that it was inevitable that I would come across some things in my dealing world that stumped me..... but 3 things in a week? Sorry. This is probably easy fir some. But I picked up

Default a little bit of help from an idiot

I suppose that it was inevitable that I would come across some things in my dealing world that stumped me..... but 3 things in a week? Sorry. This is probably easy fir some. But I picked up a couple of rounds yesterday one is a 577. But what does the white tape on the top denote? And what's happened to the case? Is this normal? There seems to be a definate line below the crinkled case ..... and what is the other round. I have no idea. And there are no marks on either at the Base. ... confused dot com
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture a little bit of help from an idiot   a little bit of help from an idiot  

Sorry, Done the photos proper this time....slap!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture a little bit of help from an idiot   a little bit of help from an idiot  

Just a spitball to start off John - but would it be like a paper wrapped cartridge for lubrication etc...
    and would the other just be someones home attempt to size a high grain cartridge to fit the bullet?

I'm a doofus when it comes to ordnance so probably talking shite.......

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Hi, I have come across similar rounds before and these were early Martini Henry Rds which had a similar lead bullet that was fitted into a rolled brass cartridge case using a paper wad to help secure the bullet inside the case. These look very similar and are highly collectable! The percussion caps appear not to have been struck so they could be still live. If you shake them you may be able to hear the powder inside.

Yes, these are quiet rare 19th century cartidges. They were made before the technology existed to make drawn brass, so they are rolled from brass sheets making an uneven finish.

Thanks, and yes they are live, but they won't go off, I'm an RFD and I have about 8000 rounds sitting behind me ( locked away)
    Black powder is a little more volatile than cordite, or the later powder, but I have the chance of a box full of these, including some rare pinfire rounds which I aim to make a display out of.

I also have a lovely 410 cartridge stamped on the base "Ely Kynoch" and "ALMAC" stencilled on the side. an early one before Ely split with Kynoch.... this came with the others I just got.

All interesting stuff, but what calibre is the shorter one?

CBH
    ?

I believe the shorter round is for the Snider-Enfield and is .577 Snider .