Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is this a live Incendiary Bomb??

Article about: When he say s mounting ,he means , well you work it out !!!!

Default Is this a live Incendiary Bomb??

Hi everyone,

I went to pick a mail bag up this evening and the elderly gent asked if i knew much about bombs. I said i could take a look. He bought this German incendiary bomb out with super examples of markings etc. I think it is live, i told him this and he has kept it away from the house until i get further confirmation. Obviously if it is live, i have advised him to call the police which he said he will do. If its not live, im buying it. The fin is detatched. Weighs 2.2IBS or 1 kilo.

Sorry about the naff pics, only had my phone on me.

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a live Incendiary Bomb??   Is this a live Incendiary Bomb??  

Is this a live Incendiary Bomb??   Is this a live Incendiary Bomb??  

Default Re: Is this a live Incendiary Bomb??

It looks to have been fired but my gut feeling is it is one that didn't go off.

?

I'm trying to work out if that is a tile smasher incendiary ,the weight dictates the amount of damage to roofs etc , personally i would stick to the old adage 'if in doubt ,dont touch 'it does look intact

Thanks Dave, excuse my naivety, what do you mean a tile smasher? It felt weighted towards the front end. Thanks

vicky i think dave means roof tile's
    Regards James

Gotcha! Again, i'm still not 100% and i don't want anything in my house that i'm not 100% sure wont blow me to pieces or burn me slowly in my sleep

?

They were made to penetrate roofs and were heavier than the ordinary ones which burst on contact , there was a thread on here about 'smashers 'they usually had hexagonal heavy heads but yours is different, wait for more comments just to be sure

show it to the law and you lose it.

Quote by davejb View Post
    They were made to penetrate roofs and were heavier than the ordinary ones which burst on contact , there was a thread on here about 'smashers 'they usually had hexagonal heavy heads but yours is different, wait for more comments just to be sure
    Still with explosives inside? Damn, i really wanted this. But, better to be alive without it than have it and be dead.

They were filled with Thermite and the case is usually Magnesium alloy I think. The nasty bit that sets it off is in the tapered end and is a type of explosive primer set off by percussion to get the Thermite and Magnesium going. Thermite is reasonably safe unless it gets wet, it doesn't like water. A lot of these things didn't go off due to soft landings/malfunction, so until someone comes along with more knowledge to give you the skinny on it I would assume it to be live until proven otherwise, but I wouldn't imagine it's gonna go pop unless you start bashing it or throwing it in water or such. Just a guess really though!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast