Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Mills bomb no36 grenade

Article about: I got this in a trade and not really something I know much about. I had a quick look on the mills bomb site that everyone links to Mills grenades and I assume it is a WWII no36 perhaps a MKI

Default Mills bomb no36 grenade

I got this in a trade and not really something I know much about. I had a quick look on the mills bomb site that everyone links to Mills grenades and I assume it is a WWII no36 perhaps a MKI and the only markings on it are a 44 on the base plug which I assume is the date. The upper screw in plug is a replacement and perhaps it has been repainted.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mills bomb no36 grenade   Mills bomb no36 grenade  

Mills bomb no36 grenade   Mills bomb no36 grenade  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Jerry. Although I am not the most knowledgeable on the specifics of Mills Bombs, I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that what you have is in fact an Israeli manufactured grenade that has been re- painted to look like a No. 36. The reason I suggest this is due to the roughly made base plug marked 44, which for some reason (no one seems to know for sure) is characteristic of the Israeli grenades. Furthermore, I can make out traces of white paint under the brown, and I believe white was generally the colour of Israeli bombs.

Also, Israeli bombs have quite a distinctive plug, which looks totally different to a British No. 36, so this would account for the replacement plug.

These are just my opinions and I am happy to be corrected, although I think it is a nice looking grenade with a history all of its own, and certainly looks the part.

As I posted, I know very little about these and I am sure you know a lot more than I do.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Take a look at the Israeli ones here and see what you think. No 36 M Mk1 Grenades From 1946 To 1972

?

That base plug certainly doesn't seem to match any British base plugs I've seen ...

Still a nice piece, Jerry. No collection should be
    without one.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Israeli number 4 practice. would originally been white with yellow band and sand filled .the filler plug would have been the allen key type .
    The live version would have been green with red band .
    Regards Darrol.