Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Mortar round?

Article about: Can anybody tell me what this is and it's value? It's 67cm in length.

Default Re: Mortar round?

That wasn't what your first thread said. I was trying to help and wasn't looking for a small novel in reply to my reply.

It would have helped if you had told us you had dealt with him before. Seems you have a good relationship but I can assure you, the pictures he is posting are like that because he's got them from another website. He asks you what you are willing to pay/trade and he buys the item for half the price and makes a killing. If you're happy with that then fine but please don't take it out on me.

Cheers

Steve T

There's no doubt in my mind it's to his advantage to trade, as it is to mine as well. It's not just about this rocket, I don't know if I want it and I certainly don't want three of them. We trade all sorts of stuff back and forth and the only repro stuff I got he took back without any argument. Last time I traded a two hundred dollar pottery piece to him and in return I got a really nice relic M40 helmet with a bullet hole but still... nice piece, a stick grenade, original but repainted, a K98 bayonet that I haven't done research on yet but it has matching scabboard and a regular issue army buckle... certainly those items were worth more than what I paid for the pottery piece and he was very happy in return. I really don't believe that just because people trade means somebody is getting ripped off.
    Steve, sorry if I have offended you somehow, wasn't taking anything out on anybody really-

Quote by Cannonman17 View Post
    There's no doubt in my mind it's to his advantage to trade, as it is to mine as well. It's not just about this rocket, I don't know if I want it and I certainly don't want three of them. We trade all sorts of stuff back and forth and the only repro stuff I got he took back without any argument. Last time I traded a two hundred dollar pottery piece to him and in return I got a really nice relic M40 helmet with a bullet hole but still... nice piece, a stick grenade, original but repainted, a K98 bayonet that I haven't done research on yet but it has matching scabboard and a regular issue army buckle... certainly those items were worth more than what I paid for the pottery piece and he was very happy in return. I really don't believe that just because people trade means somebody is getting ripped off.
    Steve, sorry if I have offended you somehow, wasn't taking anything out on anybody really-
    Mate,

I agree with you that trading is more fun. However you have to ask why he is trading with you since prices in Europe are good. Please let me assure you, you are being ripped off some how? If you already have a thing going on with this dealer why ask us, you must have an idea of the value of things or you are the mark! Don't get upset when people say it the way it is!

Good luck,

Jock,

PS if you want a shreck I will get you one cheaper, just to make the point?!

I thought I could come here and ask such questions without ridicule, that's why. One simple question on a ballpark figure of what something is worth and it turns into an all out discussion on how I must be getting ripped off. If any of you want to trade for ancient pottery I am open to it, please take advantage of me, I ship world wide. I deal with pre columbian pottery from north and south america, primarily from the south western united states and from peru. I normally carry a lot of moche, anazazi, hohokam, nazca, and similar cultures. I shop for decent deals and trade for things I like (first shrek I ever seen). In my humble opinion, as long as you trade for things you like you can't go wrong. Some of the stuff I sell and that covers my cost of buying the pottery you see... the left over stuff is the stuff that I get to keep.. it's kind of like collecting for free... I just have to be careful to sell enough of the stuff I trade for to keep the cycle rolling and thus my question about the value of a previously unseen item like the shrek. Where I live here there's almost nothing to be found, I mean there's not a lot of collectors and if you find a nice K98 bayonet or something it's a major find around here..this guy I trade with in Germany has a lot of auction houses around his place and has pretty easy access to it all...sure, he cuts the pics up into pieces or steals them from the auction house sites but it doesn't matter to me because I can still look at the properties of the pic and see where it came from by cutting down the web bar on the pic I can find the site and go there and even watch what something sells for, I don't tell him of course and I don't always even go look. Sometimes I already know that something he's getting or has is worth way more than a pottery piece that I might have gotten a screaming deal on so what he pays is rather unimportant to me. As long as he is happy with the artifact and I am happy with what he sends nobody is getting ripped off. For what it's worth I work with a network of dealers to buy this pottery and I often am able to pick it up far below normal retail prices.

Anyhow, I could ramble on and on about my little trading scheme with this guy but I won't. I am sorry if I offended any of you. I didn't mean to come off as though I was upset, I was only trying to explain what was going on.

Peace,
    Paul

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3