Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My 2014 KwK43 88mm AP 'Project'

Article about: I'm not going to make any claims for this being from 'one of Peiper's King Tigers' etc , but I've alays hankered after a KwK43 AP round for my collection. However, I'm an impecunious collect

Smile My 2014 KwK43 88mm AP 'Project'

I'm not going to make any claims for this being from 'one of Peiper's King Tigers' etc , but I've alays hankered after a KwK43 AP round for my collection.

However, I'm an impecunious collector so shelling ( sorry ! ) out £2500 or whatever isn't an option. Anyhow, I was pleased to pick up a relic case at La Gleize for 45 Euros and, thanks to the eagle eyes of contributor Granatwerfer, a relic projectile has just landed from Eastern Europe for 50 Euros plus postage.

We had fun unwrapping it this morning in my 'War Room' where both parts were introduced. Bit more work needed, but for the overall cost, I'm quite happy with my new display piece.............

My 2014 KwK43 88mm AP  'Project'

Very cool Martin, i'd be more than happy to own that!...

nice item.

great looking Item Martin. I too am looking for one of these for my collection. just asking. is there any markings on the bottom of the casing???

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

?

Looks great Martin and a bargain as well !!!

Lightbulb

Quote by guns ltd View Post
    is there any markings on the bottom of the casing???

John
    Sadly not, John - this is a genuine 'relic' which has obviously been found out in the open or (judging from what fell out of it when I got it) heavy undergrowth, so all markings have long ago rusted away.

If you're keen on getting one at not-too-astronomical cost, then I'd probably recommend a visit to one of the big Continental fairs such as Ciney or La Gleize. At least three were available at La Gleize this year. I do know that they have appeared at 'Beltring' ( I still call it that ) in recent years but always seem to have been sold before the public even get in......which has made me doubly pleased to put this one together.

Finally got around to seating the projectile as firmly as I can into the shellcase. It's now good and solid, and is one of my favourite collection items - it's good to have something which you've hankered after for years.

If I can't have a King Tiger, then to me this is the next best thing !

Cool

I was so pleased to find this Flak 18 AP shell lurking on a German dealer's stall at War & Peace '15. For some weird reason, it's been much easier for me to find a KwK43 AP projectile than the earlier type as used in the Tiger 1 . Thanks to information and contacts made via this Forum, I knew about the difference in driving-band widths ; a year ago I wouldn't have had a clue what I was looking at !

Arrow

The KwK43 project rumbles on - this was a pure 'impulse purchase' at Beltring last week.

Look at the far right-hand table in the stall photo and you can just see two PaK/KwK43 PzGr projectiles. I was going to pass them by, but they were both in quite good condition and one in particular had remaining red stencils, including the '9.44' date. Had to have it !

The shell was quite rusty but on close examination it was mainly surface rust ; this was no dug-up relic. It also had an excellent base fuze and all had been well deactivated. The only downside was the marked driving band - possibly from when the shell had been pulled from the casing.

No matter for me though - these things aren't that common to find now especially with markings.....so I've given it a very light and careful rub-over with fine wire wool to lift the rust without damaging stencils or original machining marks , follow by a wipeover with gun oil. And so the project continues......

....it's dud right?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast