Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My US Mk2 "Pineapple" Collection so far. New Pics

Article about: by Gary Cain Very nice collection you have there! I see a couple of real rarities there too! Gary Hi Gary, Thanks everyone!! Ahhh Haaa, you spotted them Gary. What ones are YOU, talking abou

Default Re: My US Mk2 "Pineapple" Collection so far. New Pics

Quote by Gary Cain View Post
    Very nice collection you have there! I see a couple of real rarities there too!

Gary
    Hi Gary, Thanks everyone!! Ahhh Haaa, you spotted them Gary. What ones are YOU, talking about?

Regards, Steve

[QUOTE=Ty Revelo;62423]Nice collection there Steve. I am trying to find some myself but am really having trouble locating any. Is there any web sight or dealer that you can recommend??

rgds, TY[/QUOTE

Hi Ty, Thanks. No special sites, just where I can find them. ALL the websites. You need to search. That's half the fun of it with me, the "Hunt" It's taken a lot of computer searches/time spent to find my grenade examples. I have heard stories of the "good old days on eBay" before their stupid new rules. I have only been collecting grenades for 8 months of so, and did not think of collecting grenades when they were plentiful.
    I am kind of obsessed with WW2 grenades now, like I was with my gun collection for 35+ years. Most people just would want a WWII green w/ yellow band Pineapple, and be happy. Unfortunately I have an OCD with collecting, and had to get more examples. I have a nice early WW2 threaded bottom green Mk2, just listed on GB if you want to look. Original Mk2 "Pineapple" Hand Grenade M10A3 INERT : World War I / II at GunBroker.com I have a lot of other WW2 grenades listed too.

I find that oversea sellers will not always ship "Pineapples" or F1's etc, except maybe by slow boat, no airmail. Some will, but those type of grenades in todays world, look a little to familiar to just about everyone on the planet as a "Grenade", so it is risky from certain countries.

Regards, Steve

My God that's an impressive collection... I definitely see your obsession, I love these things- something draws me to them. I have some grenades, but don't yet own a MK2. Thanks for sharing the photos, now I can just sit here feeling a little jealous for a while.

Kilroy, I have a couple of questions for you regarding the example in the photo rigged with a pressure fuze: are the raised prongs integral to it's function or just an addition to raise the 'trigger' from the ground? Because in an example (I don't own it) I've seen in pictures, this part is missing- it's just a slightly raised disk with a hole in the middle where the extension attaches. Is it incomplete or would this configuration still work? And are the holes on the fuze there for the purpose of nailing down the grenade? I've looked for info on these but have had no luck!

-Please disregard my question, I came across all the info I needed on a site you linked to in another post. It confirmed all of my presumptions- the missing part I refered to is an extension. Thanks for providing that link, you helped without even knowing: some skill right there.

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    -Please disregard my question, I came across all the info I needed on a site you linked to in another post. It confirmed all of my presumptions- the missing part I refered to is an extension. Thanks for providing that link, you helped without even knowing: some skill right there.
    Hi toxic, OK, glad you found the answers on the link. I guess will continue to help more collectors without knowing it, because I have pics on the site, and always try to send pics of things he is missing in photo's. The site is getting better all the time with collectors help. Pics that say: by Dr. Ruby, are mine.

Regards

Hallo again Kilroy, I'd like to call upon your grenade expertise... I just purchased this WW2 MK2 frag with M1 pull switch that I'm told was bought from a market in the Ardennes, Belgium. I'd like to know what you think- does the paint look original? I ask because most WW2 examples I see in photos seem to be a lighter green. Also, there appears to be pitting on one side of the grenade (shown in the last picture), though these holes are painted- could this just be low casting quality of the grenade? There is no maker's mark either.

I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts on this. I can provide more photos if that's necessary.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My US Mk2 "Pineapple" Collection so far. New Pics   My US Mk2 "Pineapple" Collection so far. New Pics  

My US Mk2 "Pineapple" Collection so far. New Pics  

Talking Re: My US Mk2 "Pineapple" Collection so far. New Pics

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    Hallo again Kilroy, I'd like to call upon your grenade expertise... I just purchased this WW2 MK2 frag with M1 pull switch that I'm told was bought from a market in the Ardennes, Belgium. I'd like to know what you think- does the paint look original? I ask because most WW2 examples I see in photos seem to be a lighter green. Also, there appears to be pitting on one side of the grenade (shown in the last picture), though these holes are painted- could this just be low casting quality of the grenade? There is no maker's mark either.

I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts on this. I can provide more photos if that's necessary.

Hi Toxic, the grenade looks to have been repainted at sometime. The 3rd picture, even though the strangest purple picture I have ever seen , those are rust pits, not casting imperfections. Most US WW2 grenades were a fairly good casting, some better than others, but those look like rust pits. You are correct to notice that they are painted also.

Are you sure it has no marks, or part of a makers mark on it?
    Is it a solid bottom, or does it have a plug? It looks like maybe a solid to me.

Regards, Steve

?

thanks for sharing, very interesting

Quote by Kilroy Was Here View Post
    Hi Toxic, the grenade looks to have been repainted at sometime. The 3rd picture, even though the strangest purple picture I have ever seen , those are rust pits, not casting imperfections. Most US WW2 grenades were a fairly good casting, some better than others, but those look like rust pits. You are correct to notice that they are painted also.

Are you sure it has no marks, or part of a makers mark on it?
    Is it a solid bottom, or does it have a plug? It looks like maybe a solid to me.

Regards, Steve
    Thanks for your help- the last picture is an odd colour because I had to use the flash close-up simply to illustrate the pitting which my camera was having trouble focusing on.

As far as I can see, there is no mark, it could have been covered by the new layer(s) of paint if that's the case. It's a solid bottom grenade as you thought.

I knew the near-perfect paint on this was too good to be true once I held it, it loses much of it's appeal to me as a re-paint. I guess some people would call it restoration but I think it detracts from what was a perfectly good relic. I can return it to the seller still if I want to, or I can trade it for another.

I've attached photos of another example the seller has- to me, the colour looks more accurate, but I don't want to make the same mistake twice. There's less pitting and a maker's mark is present, but also there's no yellow HE band. What do you think? If it looks original to you I'll exchange it.
    Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images My US Mk2 "Pineapple" Collection so far. New Pics  My US Mk2 "Pineapple" Collection so far. New Pics  My US Mk2 "Pineapple" Collection so far. New Pics 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2