Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mystery shell?

Article about: wow- has that ever got to be a rare bird...

Default Mystery shell?

Mystery shell?Mystery shell?Mystery shell?Mystery shell?Mystery shell?Bought this at a local auction last night. Looks to be german WW2?
    Was looking for info as to country of origin/weapon used in etc.
    Passed up 1943 us 37mm shell as well as 40mm bofors shell for it.
    Hope i made the right call..........

Thanks, Patrick.

Default Re: Mystery shell?

The headstamp 'font' and coding is very close to German style of markings. However, I can't ID it precisely for you I'm afraid, but do believe it to be German in origin.

Steve T

Thanks steve.
    It does look to be german, but....can not determine caliber etc.
    It has a slightly larger curcumference wise than my american 37mm shell casing.
    The shell has a marking of w b w 35t. Was wondering if german tank shells were marked according to model of afv. 35t=pzkw 35t?
    Just a thought.

Sorry for the crappy spelling.

?

The code dbh on the primer is listed to Mannesmann,Dusseldorf plant,Germany.It looks like code aux on the rim,that is Polte-Werk,Magdeburg,Germany.What is the length in MM,what is the diameter in MM,is it steel or brass,the marking St after 35 indicates steel,give us some info to go on.
    Last edited by zwerge; 12-20-2011 at 06:50 PM.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Hi,
    I can't see too clearly but is that a Kriegmarine eagle just to the left of the number 37.... looks to be similar with black paint in it.... am I correct?
    D.

Question Re: Mystery shell?

Just a thought to throw into the discussion ( as I don't immediately recognize the item )......but in size and shape it looks very similar to a Coffmann-type starting cartridge...?

I was coming to the same conclusion Martin, especially given the lack of 'normal' blast cap. Would the rim of the cartridge not be rolled though if it was a starter ? The British ones I've seen all have a rolled rim.

Steve T

Lightbulb Re: Mystery shell?

You're right, Steve.....British aero-engine ones are brass and have a rolled rim, whereas this one looks steel. However, the painted lettering makes it look like something which would be re-used.

I am really guessing here, as I've never seen a German one...Kriegsmarine was mentioned ; Coffman-type starters were sometimes used on marine Diesels....?

Hi,
    The more I look at this one the stamp seems to be a Kriegsmarine waffenamnpt for sure..... come on does anyone else see it or am I going daft here. Also... the primer looks to be live!
    D.

?

Hello,

this is a cartridge for the Wasserbombenwerfer C/35, a charge to fire the C/35 depth charge projector.

See: ## 50x159R what's that ?? ## WBW C/35

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast