Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help identifying possible Kreigsmarine 5.9cm shell

Article about: Hello all! I was hoping some of you could help me ID this round. Has the look of a US 155mm howitzer round, but I've never seen one with a steel windscreen over the fuze well. Also, most US

Default Need help identifying possible Kreigsmarine 5.9cm shell

Hello all! I was hoping some of you could help me ID this round. Has the look of a US 155mm howitzer round, but I've never seen one with a steel windscreen over the fuze well. Also, most US artillery have one rotating band, where this one has two.
    From the web research I have done, it appears to be a ww2 German armor piercing naval round for the 5.9cm gun. Unfortunately, I cannot find any pictures close or clear enough to be able to tell.

Fun fact: This round was found in a scrapyard where I am friends with the co-owner. He knew I was interested in such items, as I was an ammo tech with the Marines and dealt with large rounds almost daily. (It's inert, there is a hole in the nose cap that you can see into the round cavity). Any help and or guidance is greatly appreciated. The ultimate end for this round is for it be correctly ID'd, restored, and displayed in the man cave.

Thanks!

Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help identifying possible Kreigsmarine 5.9cm shell   Need help identifying possible Kreigsmarine 5.9cm shell  

?

Quote by opus5150 View Post
    Fun fact: This round was found in a scrapyard where I am friends with the co-owner.
    Do you know Gizmo???????
    I can't help you with what it is, but you are right . That would look Badass in the Man cave.

Semper Fi Devil Dog!!!
    Phil

Sorry, I do not know Gizmo. I was at Pendleton 90-94, with time served overseas during the first Gulf War go-round. If he served between those years, I may have run across him!

thanks!

Any other takers? I have discovered an Imperial Crown M stamp on the shell, if that helps. It is German Navy, just not sure of the era. Anyone?

Thanks!

?

Well the crown would suggest it's WWI not WWII so not Kriegsmarine but Kaiserliche Marine; so presumably it'd be something like the 15cm SK L/40 or 45- here's a site that lists dimensions of shells that might help: Germany 15 cm/40 (5.9") SK L/40

And note it's 5.9"- you wrote 5.9cm (in the thread title too), which is obviously WAY different LOL I opened the thread expecting to read about some odd light AA or AT round, not a heavy artillery one
    Last edited by Matt L; 01-16-2014 at 11:42 PM.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...