Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Now what did I buy?

Article about: Thanks for your input dogdog.

Default Now what did I buy?

Picked this little grenade up yesterday from a car boot sale. It has no markings I can find, except from the timing devise on the detonator. Think its wwI by the look of it, possibly German. I paid 2 euros for it, so thats not to bad. There where some other artifacts floating about, but nothing really exciting enough to buy. Saw a German canteen bottle without the cover, gasmask holders without the webbing belts, a German white jacket that was supposed to be from a Infirmer but I didn't trust the marking on it. It said HM instead of HV (Heeres Verplegung) so I left it.
    Anybody have a clue what this little grenade could be? It demined by the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images Now what did I buy?  Now what did I buy? 

Default Re: Now what did I buy?

What it might be is LIVE!

Quote by hassiman View Post
    What it might be is LIVE!
    yes looks like, be carefull with this one dont drop it and best is get rid of

It does indeed look like it could be live. Best to have it checked out. Even a projectile of that size will have enough explosive power to remove an arm or leg.

It looks like a 2 pounder shell but could be any number of calibres looking at the picture you've done. Please can you take another picture with a tape measure in shot so we can see the general size of the projectile. Also have a look on the fuse cap for any markings.

I'd keep it somewhere nice and cool and away from the house until it has been given the all clear !

Steve T

As mentioned, the fact that has been fired, and the fuze is intact, suggests that it could well be very alive. A .50 cal will take your hand off, this will take your arm off and half your torso. Just be vary carfull.

i hope there is nothing happent to you, did you get rid of this one or did you got it cheked if live or not, but to me it looks live with no dout

?

I think it's WW1 German by the push pressure detonator in the nose cone ... (Similar to the 50mm/80mm WW2 German mortar mechanism).

Gary J.

Thank you Gary J, that makes sense.
    The grenade is totaly empty; the fuse can be removed and the detonator has gone. The inside is completly empty, it is a hollow tube.

Quote by Feuerbach View Post
    Thank you Gary J, that makes sense.
    The grenade is totaly empty; the fuse can be removed and the detonator has gone. The inside is completly empty, it is a hollow tube.
    next time give us a bit more details

the driving bands look french ww1
    hope this helps
    Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast