Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

An old shell, can any one help me to find out more about it?

Article about: So, is the term cartridge case applicable at all,or do I have to buy the beer and popcorn?.....Pete.

?

Default Re: An old shell, can any one help me to find out more about it?

So, is the term cartridge case applicable at all,or do I have to buy the beer and popcorn?.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Geez, can't give someone a little incorrect nomenclature information around here without getting the peanut gallery treatment LOL

Well I'll be; cartridge is just the casing- you learn something new every day. I thought that was the complete round meself... Well at least I was right that the shell is the dangerous exploding bit one would rather be far away from

And I wasn't being facetious about how easy it is to find an answer on the Internet with just a few search terms- I really am continually amazed how well it works! I'm continually cursing my memory (too much stuffed into my head), so when I only get a couple of bits about something coming to me, I just type them in and my Internet-based memory nearly always gives me the answer It's brilliant. And I think many people don't really realize that you can actually find things with very little information...
    Last edited by Matt L; 06-24-2012 at 02:56 PM.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

HANG ON !!!! I need some more popcorn.

Quote by Steve T View Post
    HANG ON !!!! I need some more popcorn.
    And beer
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Looks like the OP has vanished after getting his answer, typical hit and run...
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

dunandali23
    ?

All that just for getting a term wrong.

?

Sometimes we get a little strange around here, sorry- must be all the beer and popcorn and staring at dusty relics for hours on end LOL Still, it's more entertaining than just a straight answer- you get more than your money's worth here buddy
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Well, now we've started I see no reason to stop, particularly with dangerous statements such as:

Quote by Matt L View Post
    cases just hold propellant
    In fact, the function of the case is twofold: first, as you say, it holds the charge bags containing the propellant (and of course the primer to set the propellant off), but it's equally important second function is to provide obturation (that is, seal the breech so that the whole force of the explosion is directed towards the projectile).

The whole thing is in fact either a fired Cartridge, QF 25-Pr, Filled 1lb 10oz 13dr Mk I or a Cartridge, QF 25-Pr, Filled 1lb 11oz 4dr Mk I, but basically a Mk I Cartridge consisting of a Case Mk II, and a Primer, Percussion, QF Cartridge, No 1 Mk II. The case itself has actually been used twice, as it has an 'M' mark denoting "repaired and refilled", although the primer has only been fired the once

Rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2