Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

An Old-Time Cartridge..38-55

Article about: A couple more old-timers...and then I shall disappear,like a phantom into the mist..

?

Default Re: An Old-Time Cartridge..38-55

Technically, the .38-200 was never British military nomenclature, it was the .380 Ball Mark I. The example you show (second from right) is a .38-200 as it is a commercial round. The first attached picture shows a Ball Mark I and a Dummy Drill D Mark I.

The .380 Ball Mark II (your right hand round) of course has a 178 grain bullet.

Second picture shows a series of Mark II rounds.

Ball Mark II (CN envelope)
    Ball Mark II (GM envelope)
    Drill D Mark II
    Kynoch contract Drill/Inspection Mark II
    Blank L Mark IT

Regards
    TonyE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An Old-Time Cartridge..38-55   An Old-Time Cartridge..38-55  

British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

?

Hi Tony,I pulled the bullet on the right hand one and it is 178 Gr. as you said,the total loaded weight of this round is 244 Gr.The weight of the second round from right is 247 GR. so I thought (wrongly) they were both the same.thanks for the correction...Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

No correction Pete, just a bit more information!

Attached are a couple more interesting British pistol rounds, .45ACP tracer and armour piercing made by Kynoch in the 1930s. The exact reason for these is unknown but it may have been for clandestine use. Note the dimple in the nose of the AP for night time identification by touch.

Regards
    TonyE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An Old-Time Cartridge..38-55   An Old-Time Cartridge..38-55  

?

Those are very interesting Tony,here`s some of the HS`s I have collected for .45 ACP, there are MANY more I know.....PETE.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An Old-Time Cartridge..38-55  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Collecting .45 ACP headstamps is a life long job! I only collect British and Commonwealth as you know and fortunately that limits things. However, I would think a decent collection of .45ACP headstamps would run to 5-7,000 items at least.

One British round that might be of interest is the .45ACP Tracer made by Kynoch from Canadian ball rounds. They pulled the bullet, drilled the base for a tracer canister and then reloaded the rounds with red tips. Headstamp was "D I 42".

I will post pictures and drawings tomorrow.

Regards
    TonyE

?

Thanks Tony,looking forward to the pics...Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Here is the Kynoch .45ACP tracer made by Kynoch and loaded on Canadian cases. the drawing actually says "American cases" but there is an SAC Minute that says Canadian cases were used.

Regards
    TonyE

?

Here`s a couple of real oldies found in the woods,can`t read the HS`s on them but they are .45-75 Win.

JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Some 5.56x45/.223 Win. rounds.....Royal Thai arsenals...Squires & Bingham....FNM Portugal....Early WCC developmental round dated 1958 with 53 GR. bullet.

JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

From 12.7mm to 105mm.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An Old-Time Cartridge..38-55  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast