Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picked up some nice Piat projectiles

Article about: Managed to get hold of a box of (approx 5 in pieces) Piat projectiles from a brocante in N.France recently. Salvaged 2 complete decent ones with a few spare leftovers. First time I have seen

Default Picked up some nice Piat projectiles

Managed to get hold of a box of (approx 5 in pieces) Piat projectiles from a brocante in N.France recently. Salvaged 2 complete decent ones with a few spare leftovers. First time I have seen these items on sale. Are they a rarity or pretty common? They even have the small capsule holder on the fin. Incidentally, can someone advise the correct terminology for these, rocket, shell, etc.? Thank you. Kind regards, Francis.Picked up some nice Piat projectilesPicked up some nice Piat projectilesPicked up some nice Piat projectilesPicked up some nice Piat projectilesPicked up some nice Piat projectilesPicked up some nice Piat projectiles

Quote by francis View Post
    ... Incidentally, can someone advise the correct terminology for these, rocket, shell, etc.? Thank you. Kind regards, Francis...
    Had to Google for that question & still not 100% sure!
    There are some pictures online that appear to be of 'user manual' diagrams for the launcher - these term the 'U' shaped 'trough' at the front a "Projectile Support"; which would obviously favour "Projectile"...

But photos of an 'ammo box' show it stencilled "8 Bombs"!

I would want to actually read PIAT manual properly to be sure!

?

The Piat was spring loaded if I'm not mistaken,so I would go with projectile. A rocket would have a propellant.

I do have a question about that "Projectile". What is that little cartridge looking thing at the base by the fin?

Very cool by the way

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

I know (or knew) nothing about these but the are really interesting. Well salvaged!

It says her the cartridge is a holder for the fuse
    British P.I.A.T.,Projector Infantry Anti Tank, WWII - Inert-Ord.net

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    The Piat was spring loaded if I'm not mistaken,so I would go with projectile. A rocket would have a propellant.

I do have a question about that "Projectile". What is that little cartridge looking thing at the base by the fin?

Very cool by the way

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Hi Phil
    Tinhat is correct. On the nose of the 'projectile' ( thank you brickie501 ;-) ) is a small pressed metal retaining piece. The capsule container held onto fin with metal clip has inside a small fuze which is inserted into nose and the metal retaining piece holds it in place for firing. Incidentally when I bought these the fuzes were included!!! Obviously I didnt keep these but I did take some photographs. If I can find them I will add to this post asap. Regards. Francis

Hi again. Here is a shot of the fuse and capsule that holds it securely. The capsule has a raised dimple each end to allow it to locate in a strong sprung bracket affixed to the tail fins. This is just for transportation until use. You can maybe make out the 'screw on cap' on pointed end of projectile. This unscrews, the fuse piece with domed end pointing forwards is placed in hollow opening and then the retaining cap, which has a hole in it (to allow protrusion of fuse end) is screwed back in place holding exposed fuse ready to impact target. The empty capsule is discarded and the clip pulled off and trashed too. I put up a couple of other similar 'capsules' that vary a bit from my original. Not sure what these are from though. Kind regards. Francis.

Picked up some nice Piat projectilesPicked up some nice Piat projectilesPicked up some nice Piat projectilesPicked up some nice Piat projectilesPicked up some nice Piat projectilesPicked up some nice Piat projectilesPicked up some nice Piat projectiles[ATTACH=COPicked up some nice Piat projectilesPicked up some nice Piat projectilesNFIG]1277401[/ATTACH]Picked up some nice Piat projectilesPicked up some nice Piat projectiles

sorry images are in wrong order. Not very good at this.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Picked up some nice Piat projectiles  

You say you didn't keep the fuzes, (with a Z). What did you do with them?

I used them as ear plugs, (with an S) ;-)

It was a genuine question not requiring a flippant answer!

Hello Vegetius.
    thank you for your message : "Francis,

You seem somewhat reticent to answer the question? Or at least answer it properly.

Do I take that to mean the disposal of the detonators was not via a recognised or approved manner?"

I am not sure why you chose to contact me privately, as I am quite happy to respond to you publicly. I have nothing to hide and my response would be the same either way.

I feel compelled to point out that I am not attacking you personally, but with your outlook, I fear that it may come across as such.

Firstly, not flippant, 'tongue in cheek'. Get a sense of humour, lighten up for Christs sake. I hope that this expression does not offend. Please notify me IMMEDIATELY if so, then I can rectumify this straight away.
    The smiling wink should have been a clue that it was intended in light humour and not to be taken seriously.

Obviously I don't know you, but your message (reading between the lines) painted a picture in my mind. Who knows, it may be the right one, or I could be totally wrong.
    Fuses with a Z. What are you implying here? To me this reads as a bit of a dig. I see that you yourself have done this in at least one of your replies, so I fail to see what you are driving at. I am fully aware that there are two options, I chose this one.

'Somewhat reticent'..... mmmm, I'm getting that mental image again. Not at all reticent! I have a business to run, taking up my time from approx. 0800 hrs - 19.00 hrs six days a week. This, I think in anyone's book would be known as being damned busy. To spell out, I simply did not have the time.
    I didn't explain in detail my method of disposal, for good reason. The forum (rightly so) has a strict code regarding correct procedure in these matters. Some people will jump up and down whatever method I described. So when I read your first message (with its implied attitude) I chose to answer as I did. But oh boy, did you bite? That was predictable.

Do I have to explain everything in the positive to ensure that someone does not assume the negative?

To answer your question. I disposed of them responsibly (in my opinion) and no it would possibly not constitute to your idea of 'recognised or approved manner'. But my conscience is clear and I am confident that they are of no danger to anyone.

To put your mind at rest, here is a description of my actions concerning these fuzes/fuses.

They were placed individually into small metal cans (akin to a baked bean tin) which were then filled with earth. The cans were then deposited with a nearby farmer who already had a small amount of unexploded ordnance mainly consisting of German mortars already found on his land. These are stored within an open wire type cage which is located away from his areas of accomodation . This is then periodically collected by the French bomb disposal team. I can only assume that THEIR method of disposal meets your expectations.
    So to sum up. Yes, my response is slightly immature, a bit tongue in cheek and a little sarcastic. But there is definitely no reticence or indeed, animosity intended on my part.
    You have yourself a lovely weekend. Seriously. :-)

Picked up some nice Piat projectilesPicked up some nice Piat projectiles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast