Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

picric pellets - what did they look like?

Article about: Hi, am working on my computer render, the fuze pocket on the German bombs has the pocket wall then it appears from the diagram that you would place the fuze into a bed of Picric pellets? as

Default picric pellets - what did they look like?

Hi, am working on my computer render, the fuze pocket on the German bombs has the pocket wall then it appears from the diagram that you would place the fuze into a bed of Picric pellets?

as its Piciric i am guessing it will be a egg yellow/greeny color? but did they use a stabilizer/bonding agent to make the pellets that would change the color?

if anyone has any information on the compostion, what these pellets look like it would be fantastic. how big were they? ect...
    picric pellets - what did they look like?

the gaine seems to sit on a metal plate in the fuse pocket but its not clear. I am a bit confused at this part.

would there have been some sort of housing to contain the pellets or would they just have sat there?

Default Re: picric pellets - what did they look like?

For what it's worth, the picric pellets that I've seen were a greenish yellow in color, as you guessed. Nasty stuff, Picric acid. Back in the early 1900's, it used to be easily home made and used to "play" with and celebrate the 4th of July etc. with. I had a somewhat distant cousin in 1921 make just One of it's components when he was 17 years old. He left 2 pints of it in his tool chest where it dried out from the particularly hot summer that year. It blew the roof off his family home and got him the headline in the newspaper...The house was quite the scene of curious sightseers for some time after...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Default Re: picric pellets - what did they look like?

I am sure he was mr popular. Thanks for your input. I will stick to green/yellow color. The only example i found on google was 5mm radius.