Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Please ID this round

Article about: Morning Gents,I'm hoping one of you guys can help me ID this round of ammo.It is 2.920" in length, the rim dia. is .635", and the case dia. directly above the rim is .518", an

Default Please ID this round

Morning Gents,I'm hoping one of you guys can help me ID this round of ammo.It is 2.920" in length, the rim dia. is .635", and the case dia. directly above the rim is .518", and the tip is cupro nickel jacketed.Please excuse the photos I took them with my DROID MAXX.

Thank you in advance, BillPlease ID this roundPlease ID this roundPlease ID this round

P.S. I almost forgot the important part, the tip dia. is .428"

Looks to me like a 8x56 for a Steyr-Mannlicher. But I don’t think the dimensions are quite right

?

The dimensions are very close to a 11.15x58R Spanish Remington cartridge...is the case length 2.25 inches?......Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    The dimensions are very close to a 11.15x58R Spanish Remington cartridge...is the case length 2.25 inches?......Pete.
    Hi Pete, Iooked that up in my THE HANDLOADERS MANUAL OF CARTRIDGE CONVERSIONS ( 3rd edition p 561) I think you nailed it.I've been through this book several times don't know how I missed it.The book says ca. 1871, I know it could have been loaded long after that, but with the type of tip in this round do you have any idea when this could have been loaded, my knowledge of military bolt actions is frpm WW1 to 1945.

Thank you very much, Bill

?

From pictures on Municion.org website it looks like 1880`s to 1890`s time period.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Could this be a .43 Mauser?

It has the "elevated boss" around the primer pocket.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Could this be a .43 Mauser?

It has the "elevated boss" around the primer pocket.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Hi Phil,it`s close,but no cigar.......Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Perhaps a Gras or Peabody Martini 11x59mm Turkish round (see the pics) with a nickel jacketed tip for anti-aircraft use ?
    11x59mm is 2.920" in length.
    Aghs
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please ID this round   Please ID this round