Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Practice 28 lb ret'd No1 MK1 hel 6/69

Article about: Hi all picked this little beauty in a scrap dealers yard!!! I have see the usual 28lb Practice bombs before (the ones with four plain fins!!) but this has four link activated "air brake

Default Practice 28 lb ret'd No1 MK1 hel 6/69

Hi all picked this little beauty in a scrap dealers yard!!!
    I have seen the usual 28lb Practice bombs before (the ones with four plain fins!!) but this has four link activated "air brake" type....
    I would guess for more accurate bombing from fast jets!!????
    any ideas!!????
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Practice 28 lb ret'd No1 MK1 hel 6/69   Practice 28 lb ret'd No1 MK1 hel 6/69  

Last edited by austromunga; 05-11-2015 at 06:09 PM.

The RET'D stands for retarded and as you say it has an air brake system, they are used for very low level bombing and the braking system gives the aircraft time to get out of the way before the real (live) bomb would explode!..

Thanks Paul .... would you know how the "brake" was activated as it would obviously not be in the deployed position when stored on the wings of the aircraft ready for release onto target... also what sort of Aircraft would this munition most likely be used... Jaguar, Harrier.......or something else???

Quote by austromunga View Post
    Thanks Paul .... would you know how the "brake" was activated as it would obviously not be in the deployed position when stored on the wings of the aircraft ready for release onto target... also what sort of Aircraft would this munition most likely be used... Jaguar, Harrier.......or something else???
    No idea how they worked mate but as for the aircraft i'd say Jaguar, Harrier,Tornado and the Buccaneer before it was retired!...

I had a small framed print of the spe-cat Jaguar on my wall... back when I was a mere boy!! Always was a great favourite fast jet of mine!!!... But the Vulcan is my real all-time favourite!!!!.....l Must still have the picture in storage somewhere...will have to try and find it!!! Thanks for the info anyway Paul

The Vulcan is a classic mate!...

Yes my best memory of one was at Duxford I think... once again as a boy, and I'll always remember this.... as the display progressed it included a slow wheels down pass along the runway..... then the signature full throttle vertical climb!!! the deafening noise and shock wave set off the alarms of those wonderful after market "moss" car alarms every flash harry had fitted as an extra in the 80's .... to see them all fumbling for identical alarm fobs... and all believing they were the only one to have the identical sounding alarm... as virtually every one else in the whole car park!!!..... and just as they had rushed away to reset the blasted things !!! and were on the way back looking all flustered!!! .... the display called for yet another full throttle pass!!!! and yes you've guessed it "weeeooo weeeooo weeeooo!" and there faces !!! better than a picture!!!!
    recently saw the restored Vulcan flying at Eastbourne "Airborne" show... after a couple of no shows at biggin hill.... superb to see and hear that majestic icon of the cold war again!!!!!!

found a Video of the very same... AHHH .....brings back memories!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU1VSCph-G8
    Last edited by austromunga; 05-11-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Ok so had a bash at getting the spring loaded air brake working on the 28lb practice bomb as well as give it a bit of a clean up (alas still seized solid) so I removed the actuating links while it was apart and took some pics of it in the "deployed" position!!!
    Removing the "warhead" by bashing seven shades out of it with a FBH still seems wrong somehow!!!... even when its inert!!!!!!
    heaven only knows what the neighbours thought !!!!!!!
    pics of the inside gubbins (trigger for the spring loaded Air brake system operated when the ordinance is released by means of a snap "wire" made of monofilament)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Practice 28 lb ret'd No1 MK1 hel 6/69   Practice 28 lb ret'd No1 MK1 hel 6/69  

Practice 28 lb ret'd No1 MK1 hel 6/69   Practice 28 lb ret'd No1 MK1 hel 6/69  

Practice 28 lb ret'd No1 MK1 hel 6/69   Practice 28 lb ret'd No1 MK1 hel 6/69  

Practice 28 lb ret'd No1 MK1 hel 6/69  

tomsk
    ?

well i'm jealous would love to have that in my collection

We often came across these (and bigger) when training on Salisbury Plain. A Harrier once dropped one (by accident I think) close to our Rapier A/D position.