Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Pre display check

Article about: Hi all, Been asked to display my shell collection at the local school fete on Saturday. Th Mrs reminded me that I should work out what I am taking along, as I only have a couple of days left

Default Re: Pre display check

Well, the display at the school fete went well. My tables were placed next to a nice couple with an original Anderson shelter, bought of ebay for £50
    What I found funny was the amount of children that were quite well up on their weapons and ammo from playing the game "Call of Duty - Modern Warfare".
    Grenades were another favourite for the kids. Big thanks to my mate Lee for letting me display his Mills grenade and for helping with the display.
    Whilst we were there I got the offer of a V1 rocket on a trailer. Full size replica for, as he said, 'a few grand'. Got no room for it, but it was nice to have it offered to me.
    A couple of new dig sites were mentioned to me during my time at the fete. One of which sounds very promising, I shall try and follow it up and keep every one informed about it
    Weather was a bitch, sun, then rain... aaaaah all my steel German shells getting wet, hope the wax I put on them works , then sun shine and a chance to dry out, and then it hammered down and I packed up and left
    Two of the other display owners remarked that my display was good and that I should bring my collection along to the display at Damyns Hall Aerodrome in August for the military show thats happening there. So my first display must of been ok
    Regards to all, Simon.

Lessons learnt from my first show:-

1st, Take a tent to keep dry in, brew tea, etc.

2nd, Aquire a half track to get the collection to shows, and tow away V1 that gets offered to me.

3rd, Place a big sign up saying DO NOT TOUCH.

Regards to all, Simon.

Cant forget the big sign when youre dealing with things that are valuable

Thanks

Danny

Danny,
    Yes, Big sign is very usefull when you have a swarm of kids descended upon your collection, each one of them picking up a different shell case/grenade... it is heart stopping!!!
    Regards Simon.

Quote by yuengling325 View Post
    Let me preface by saying I completely agree with and applaud what you are doing. I feel in addition to reading about history, seeing relics of items used during that period help children to understand what was actually happening. Sometimes the words go in one ear and out the other, whereas seeing an item will typically stick with them for life. I know that was, for the most part, the case with me!

The problem is, schools in the States are so overly nervous, and I can agree that they have reason to be, but in typical fashion they take it too far. With incidents like the shootings in Columbine and Virginia Tech, to bring in ordnance such as what is in your display into a school, even with you being a responsible adult and knowing full well the items have been made useless, wouldn’t even make it past the suggestion phase. It’s a sad state of affairs, but unfortunately the truth.

Hell, even bringing in a small toy gun for an action figure can earn a child a suspension from school!

Laura Timoney fumes after son Patrick, 9, is busted for bringing 2-inch-long toy gun to PS 52

But, this is par for the course in the U.S. and at this point, nothing surprises me any more.

In any case, I didn’t mean to detract from your thread and hope everything goes well. The children will be in for a real treat to see and learn from these items!
    I agree, children need to be educated on the past and these kinds
    of displays and talks really do make great impressions on them.
    There should be permanent (loan basis) displays at schools.

My stepson found a 'BB' from my younger days while at my mothers house
    several years ago, which I said was for a BB gun and that he could
    keep it. He took it to school and they confiscated it !

One small, insignificant BB ! ! !
    Regards,

Steve.

Confiscated a BB bullet, oh my god, soon they will be stopping kids from taking elastic bands, rulers, sharp pencils, etc, in to schools.
    Regards, Simon.

Well, any time the word 'gun' is mentioned, and the possibility of
    'ammunition' being carried about.......... Silly as it seems !

People who are afraid or have no familiarity with firearms, and who say
    'no one but the Police and the Army should be allowed to have guns'
    are the first to panic in treatening situations, and, I believe, would
    be the first to use one irrationally if a gun was available.

It's like some animal rights extremists: "Look .... There goes the guy
    who beat his dog ! ............... Kill him !"

Congrats on your presentation of militaria going well, and the time
    you put into it for the sake of educating the young !
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 06-22-2010 at 01:21 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

It wouldnt suprise me if things got that bad in the future the way things are going, but whatever is left will somehow be turned into or used as a weapon a while ago I managed to make a mini crossbow out of a rubber band, paper clip and a pen

Thanks

Danny

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    It wouldnt suprise me if things got that bad in the future the way things are going, but whatever is left will somehow be turned into or used as a weapon a while ago I managed to make a mini crossbow out of a rubber band, paper clip and a pen

Thanks

Danny
    A nice, round, softball size rock will do fine ................. !
    Regards,

Steve.

[QUOTE=shadowwolf;159144]Well, the display at the school fete went well. My tables were placed next to a nice couple with an original Anderson shelter, bought of ebay for £50
    What I found funny was the amount of children that were quite well up on their weapons and ammo from playing the game "Call of Duty - Modern Warfare".
    Grenades were another favourite for the kids. Big thanks to my mate Lee for letting me display his Mills grenade and for helping with the display.
    Whilst we were there I got the offer of a V1 rocket on a trailer. Full size replica for, as he said, 'a few grand'. Got no room for it, but it was nice to have it offered to me.
    A couple of new dig sites were mentioned to me during my time at the fete. One of which sounds very promising, I shall try and follow it up and keep every one informed about it
    Weather was a bitch, sun, then rain... aaaaah all my steel German shells getting wet, hope the wax I put on them works , then sun shine and a chance to dry out, and then it hammered down and I packed up and left
    Two of the other display owners remarked that my display was good and that I should bring my collection along to the display at Damyns Hall Aerodrome in August for the military show thats happening there. So my first display must of been ok
    Regards to all, Simon.[/QUO

Damn wish id known about this sooner Simon as you could have borrowed my 8-inch (203mm) High Explosive M106 Howitzer shell
    lol!!! Though i reckon you wouldve needed quite some table to hold the weight of it (approx230lbs). Regards, Tim.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast