Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Prewar 303's for i.d

Article about: Essentially yes, although I was specifically describing the situation in WWI. By the 1930s the Lewis gun had been largely replaced by the Vickers Gas Operated (GO) Class K gun but the same c

?

Default Re: Prewar 303's for i.d

Essentially yes, although I was specifically describing the situation in WWI. By the 1930s the Lewis gun had been largely replaced by the Vickers Gas Operated (GO) Class K gun but the same comments apply.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Cheers again tony that makes it kinda cool instead of standard army ammo,do you think the gun was produced at the CRAYFORD or ERITH works?regards minnie.

?

In WWI the Vickers gun was made at both Erith and Crayford, the two facilities having a combined production capacity of 5,000 guns per month, employing some 12,000 people. The Erith works (which had been the old Nordenfeldt and Maxim works before the merger with Vickers) were sold in 1931 so the Vickers K gun would have been produced at Crayford.

Regards
    TonyE

?

If you like Air Service rounds, here are a selection of the "specials" from WWI and just after.

First picture shows (l. to r.) Brock, Pomeroy Mark I, experimental "milk bottle" explosive, Buckingham Mark III.

Second shows Buckingham rounds (l. to r.) Mark I (C.1915), Mark II (1916), Mark III (1917) and Mark IV (undere development at the end of the war but not in service until 1928).

I have a couple of others that I have not photographed yet.

Regards
    TonyE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Prewar 303's  for i.d   Prewar 303's  for i.d  

This thread is kinda personal to me now tony as i was born in GREENWICH LONDON and the WOOLWICH ARSENAL is within the borough and then i lived in ABBEYWOOD only 15 minutes from CRAYFORD,so yes very cool indeed and many thanks again for your time,regards minnie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2