Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

QF 6-Pdr Gunsight

Article about: Hello folks. Nothing rare or special here, but an interesting object that isn't seen too often. This telescopic sight was fitted to the QF 6-Pounder 7 cwt anti-tank gun, pictured below. Mark

Default QF 6-Pdr Gunsight

Hello folks.

Nothing rare or special here, but an interesting object that isn't seen too often.

This telescopic sight was fitted to the QF 6-Pounder 7 cwt anti-tank gun, pictured below.

QF 6-Pdr Gunsight

Marked 'Tel Sightg No22D Mk1' and with a war department arrow. There is no date, with 'H.B.M.Co' in place of where it would usually be. I'm new to these sights, so any additional information on the markings would be greatly appreciated.

QF 6-Pdr GunsightQF 6-Pdr GunsightQF 6-Pdr Gunsight

I did my best to take a picture of the crosshair. This wasn't easy. Windage markings are visible, along with 'R' and 'L' markings. I'm unsure of the purpose of the latter.

A bit of an oddball in any collection, but interesting enough. As I'm not ever likely to be able to afford the gun to go with it, this will have to do!

?

Pretty cool brodie.

As to what R and L mean. The only thing i can think of is. Left and right of the target? Like the not the gunners left and right , but the opposite for the target? Maybe that helped the sight to be installed correctly.

Heres the sight down my 2 pounder, i love messsing around with scopes!
    QF 6-Pdr Gunsight

the R and L indicate the direction the gun crew need to move the gun when the target is moving across from one side to the other. it doesn't have a range marked on it because the gun has a range drum built into it.
    jb4046 your sight is the tank version which would make it a no.30 or no.33. it has graticules because tanks don't have range drums as they don't have time to mess about dialling in info and need to shoot quickly and on the move. the gunner also controls the elevation of the gun with his legs. quite a skilled job.
    i don't know for sure but the larger no.41 sight was also used

Quote by eddy8men View Post
    the R and L indicate the direction the gun crew need to move the gun when the target is moving across from one side to the other. it doesn't have a range marked on it because the gun has a range drum built into it.
    jb4046 your sight is the tank version which would make it a no.30 or no.33. it has graticules because tanks don't have range drums as they don't have time to mess about dialling in info and need to shoot quickly and on the move. the gunner also controls the elevation of the gun with his legs. quite a skilled job.
    i don't know for sure but the larger no.41 sight was also used
    Thank you for solving that mystery!

I've got another sight on the way, a No.50 Mk1s, which I believe was used in the Cromwell and Churchill tanks. A little more 'complex' than this one, and it retains its rubber eyepiece. In most cases they seem to be missing.

QF 6-Pdr GunsightQF 6-Pdr Gunsight

Regards, B.B.

that sight is correct for cromwell, i used to own a cromwell so i'm more familiar than most with it

all the british sights are interchangeable with any tank, only the graticules differ. so your sight, as you already mentioned is correct for the cromwell and churchill or any vehicle that had QF 75mm and Besa Mg. there are two different magnifications of x1.9 and x3 for the hull machine gun and main gun. i never understood why they both were'nt x3 or higher as 1.9 magnification isn't very much at all.

Quote by eddy8men View Post
    that sight is correct for cromwell, i used to own a cromwell so i'm more familiar than most with it

all the british sights are interchangeable with any tank, only the graticules differ. so your sight, as you already mentioned is correct for the cromwell and churchill or any vehicle that had QF 75mm and Besa Mg. there are two different magnifications of x1.9 and x3 for the hull machine gun and main gun. i never understood why they both were'nt x3 or higher as 1.9 magnification isn't very much at all.
    You used to own a Cromwell? I bet you have some interesting stories to tell! That's an 'if I win the lottery' purchase for most collectors, I think.

Good old Wikipedia was how I figured out it was fitted to the Cromwell and Churchill, so I'm glad it proved a reliable source of information for once. Maybe the magnification was something to do with the typical engagement ranges of the main armament and hull machine gun? I'd imagine the hull gunner would be engaging targets at much closer ranges than the gentleman sitting in the turret.

B.B.

Mr B-Fast, buying a tank is EASY in the UK......getting the cash is the main problem! :-)

Nice pieces guys. 'still missing a sight as I try to rebuild piece by piece.......might take a while.....

QF 6-Pdr Gunsight
    QF 6-Pdr Gunsight
    QF 6-Pdr Gunsight

WOW! Looks like you’ve got a chunk of a Cromwell there......’love the muzzle brake!

Where does one source tank parts such as those? I've never had that much luck.

B.B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast