Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAF Plastic/bakelite practice bomb

Article about: I assume this is a bakelite/plastic practice loading 3in mortar bomb but perhaps others will know better as Ordnance of any sort is not something I know much about. I bought it in a local an

Default RAF Plastic/bakelite practice bomb

I assume this is a bakelite/plastic practice loading 3in mortar bomb but perhaps others will know better as Ordnance of any sort is not something I know much about. I bought it in a local antiques market and it was labeled as a mortar bomb dated 1944 but I can't find a date on it anywhere.

As always, thanks for any help given.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Plastic/bakelite practice bomb   RAF Plastic/bakelite practice bomb  

RAF Plastic/bakelite practice bomb   RAF Plastic/bakelite practice bomb  

RAF Plastic/bakelite practice bomb   RAF Plastic/bakelite practice bomb  

RAF Plastic/bakelite practice bomb  
    Last edited by Jerry B; 10-21-2014 at 08:07 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Looks like an 8 1/2 lb RAF practice bomb. Made of Bakelite it would have originally had tin plate fins and the body filled with lead shot for weight and the tail filled with a smoke composition that ignited upon impact with the ground.
    Cheers Gary

Quote by hangarman View Post
    Looks like an 8 1/2 lb RAF practice bomb. Made of Bakelite it would have originally had tin plate fins and the body filled with lead shot for weight and the tail filled with a smoke composition that ignited upon impact with the ground.
    Cheers Gary
    Thanks Gary, a RAF practice bomb, brilliant, much appreciated. I suspect it might have been found on the coast as it has traces of barnacles inside it.

Any idea of date?
    Regards,

Jerry

Similar to this larger version
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Plastic/bakelite practice bomb  
    Regards,

Jerry