Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Real or Fake Stielhandgranate M24 ????

Article about: Mate, thanks for your time and expertise in these items.....I've never tried to own an original, I do have a solid wood replica just for fun..... This will certainly help those looking for o

Default Real or Fake Stielhandgranate M24 ????

Hello, I collect stick Hgr's from WW1 and WW2 and only German with so many copies / fakes out there I thought I would try to help fellow collectors I'D the good from the bad.

In the next few posts you will find photo's of a genuine M24 against various replicas I have, there are obvously many more replicas out there and these are just ones I collected over the years. ( Yeah! I know what your thinking, why? ) Well if you know what to look for at the begining you wont catch cold later on, I only bought one replica grenade and paid quite high for it, but such is life and know I know what is real and Replica. So hopefully I'll try to point out the difference as I post.

And by the way I look at that bloody fake grenade every time I bid in an auction , it reminds me not to be to hasty, hopfully this thread will do the same for you.

so here we go.. four typical M24 hgr's one is real rest fake, none have beed aged of made to look authentic.. but you will come across them at some time or another.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Real or Fake Stielhandgranate M24 ????   Real or Fake Stielhandgranate M24 ????  

Real or Fake Stielhandgranate M24 ????   Real or Fake Stielhandgranate M24 ????  

Default Re: Real or Fake Stielhandgranate M24 ????

This one is a real cheap n nasty , the can is slighlty larger than an original with the wrong size thread, the fuse thread is mearly punched out with no thread at all ( dead give away ) The date stamp where stamped has pushed the top of the can in, see second varient of this version, same hallmarks but can has been pressed with "frag sleeve marks " and diffent colour. Also the pull cord and ball are nothing like an original and come with these pull cords.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Real or Fake Stielhandgranate M24 ????   Real or Fake Stielhandgranate M24 ????  

THis is a slighly better quality version. The steel head is a heavier steel, where petals are on bottom of can the thread collar is more curved than original where it meets the can.
    No fuse well or any sign of removal of well.inside can new steel no sign of any inerting .
    The can is of the right dimensions in size and the handle is quite good with the right size top threads for the can and fuse. The fuse thread area is formed rather than straigh, more on these later. Mount a genuine can on it ( can that is fitted has lettering,, not in 43 on a pierced tab collar they didn't ) and age it a bit with an original bottom cap and threads it would probably pass of as it has very good markings,

This is a high quality replica ( G-Max M24 ) has good attention to detail with good markings on can and handle, top thread is not rounded at the start of thread ,its square on. ( hope this makes sence )
    fuse well is good but not like an original, still nice to see one in a replica. Based on a early 1939 model with lettering on can. Right size can and threads etc:

Here are some more piccs of the EVY43 also a 41EVY and a 44EVY these two are 100% Genuine. I do agree agree that the 43 looks good ( trust me it's not )For reference I have removed the base thread and there are no other indentations on the base of the handle, this shows that the base thread was there from day one, also wood is to clean and not turned in beechwood, ( one could argue the what wood was available was used in manufacture ) The top collar has never been removed, it is a very tight fit, once these are removed and replaced ther never sit the same with the pierced tab assembly, they are always a loose fit once tampered with.

Here are two M24s one is genuine and the other is G-max replica posted earlier. If you ( all members/collectors here please) were just starting to collect
    and you saw this replica ( with a bit of pre-aging) ,,be honest here ? would you be able to tell if it was not genuine, bear in mine this would be the first M24 you ever handled or saw in an auction site.

From the left the 1st is the original with its fuse well still intact, this is good but has it been fully inerted ?
    the rest are replica's.

These are all genuine and the show the fuse well area.
    Some have a small hole next to the well and others are fully removed. If you run your finger round inside the bottom of the can you should be able to feel a sharp edge all or most of the way round, unless the lip has been levered opened and can serperated and then put back together and re-crimped, ( normally you can see that this has been done by the state of the lip, picc to follow.)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Real or Fake Stielhandgranate M24 ????  

This one's a replica M39 Smoke Grenade.
    Fuse well is wrong, top of connector is left open,
    ( where would you fit the delay fuse )crude threaded insert
    on can is poorly constructed, ridges on handle to pronounced.
    Could go on please feel free to comment...

?

Thanks Jeeeensy,very informative...Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast