Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Really big WW2 shell case, where is it from and how much is it worth?

Article about: Hi, I've got a WW2 shell case and I'm wondering how much it's worth. It was given to my grandfather when he was a ship pilot by an British man so I'd assume it was English but he sailed ever

Default Really big WW2 shell case, where is it from and how much is it worth?

Hi,
    I've got a WW2 shell case and I'm wondering how much it's worth. It was given to my grandfather when he was a ship pilot by an British man so I'd assume it was English but he sailed everywhere so it might not be.
    The shell case measures 80mm in diameter and 130mm long and I could only find examples of the little rifle(?) ones on the internet.
    On the bottom of the shell case it says:

12PR12CWT (underneath that there is an 'I' and an up arrow)
    RL (and then B3 in a little diamond)
    N (underneath which it says'1940')
    LOT 168 (underneath which there is a little hexagon that contains the letters 'PM')

Sorry if that description's too vague! I'll try and post a picture if I can.
    I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me to identify it and tell me how much it's worth.
    Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Really big WW2 shell case, where is it from and how much is it worth?

Your dimensions are incorrectly given, can you please re check them? Welcome to the forum.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Default Re: Really big WW2 shell case, where is it from and how much is it worth?

Oh okay, sorry! I really don't know anything about this sort of thing but thank you for telling me! I have no idea how to give correct dimensions so I'll just put a few measurements down and if they're still wrong could you please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Sorry to be a nuisance!

The diameter at the top (the open end) is 3 and a bit inches/ 80mm/ 80cm
    The diameter at the base is 4 and a bit inches/ 103mm/ 10.3cm
    The length is 15 and a quarter(ish) inches/ 390mm/ 39cm

Does that make more sense? Thanks again for replying!

Does this help?

QF 12 pounder 12 cwt naval gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They were also used as AA in ww2 or a variant thereof I think.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

80mm is only 8 cm. Sorry to be pedantic.

Well this is embarrassing...

Quote by maxwell View Post
    Oh okay, sorry! I really don't know anything about this sort of thing but thank you for telling me! I have no idea how to give correct dimensions so I'll just put a few measurements down and if they're still wrong could you please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Sorry to be a nuisance!

The diameter at the top (the open end) is 3 and a bit inches/ 80mm/ 80cm
    The diameter at the base is 4 and a bit inches/ 103mm/ 10.3cm
    The length is 15 and a quarter(ish) inches/ 390mm/ 39cm

Does that make more sense? Thanks again for replying!
    Sounds like what's in the link I gave, Bob's your uncle, Fanny's your friend.....

Thanks for the help big ned, I didn't think I'd get an answer so quickly! Do you have any idea how much it might be worth?

Not Really Max, try Googling 12 Pounder/12 Hundredweight shell case (12 PDR/12 CWT shell case) for sale and look on the auction results that crop up.

Okay thanks, will do!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast