Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Roll mine disposed of in Jersey

Article about: A roll mine was recently discovered on the north coast of Jersey after weeks of rain had undermined it, and it fell out of the cliif face into a small cove onto rocks below. Having fallen ar

Default Roll mine disposed of in Jersey

A roll mine was recently discovered on the north coast of Jersey after weeks of rain had undermined it, and it fell out of the cliif face into a small cove onto rocks below. Having fallen around 50 or 60 feet it came to rest above tide level. Yesterday the Jersey EOD Officer Mr Stuart Elliott placed a charge onto the mine.... which is actually a French Naval shell of 27cm diameter dated from before WW.1 and used as an improvised mine by the German forces during the Occupation. It was destroyed at 1.30 yesterday and was an earth shaker for sure with the blast echoing up and down the north coast of the Island. I was able to get a few nice photos as well as 13kg of shrapnel.
    All the best from Jersey,
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Roll mine disposed of in Jersey   Roll mine disposed of in Jersey  

Roll mine disposed of in Jersey   Roll mine disposed of in Jersey  

Roll mine disposed of in Jersey  

?

Very cool

Been busy again! :-)

Hi,
    There's always something turning up, especially with the increased number of detectorists. Just as long as they don't take the stuff home and try and clean it up with a hammer (some do).
    Least we know you have a brain and intend on keeping.
    All the best,
    D

What exactly is a " roll mine " and how did it function ?

a roll mine is a mine you put on the top of the cliff, if enemies come, you drop the mine down, ROLLing....others heve the form of a ball.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

its a big bugger.!

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    a roll mine is a mine you put on the top of the cliff, if enemies come, you drop the mine down, ROLLing....others heve the form of a ball.
    Thanks lebus, seems rather reminiscent of the medieval period !

So would basically rolling a large ammunition shell over a cliff cause it to explode ?

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast