Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shell casing idenitifcation

Article about: I have this shell casing that my young son "bought" at a show. Thought is was a standard 40mm Bofors but upon closer inspection I'm not sure. The shoulder angle seems to be all wro

MAP
    ?

Default Shell casing idenitifcation

I have this shell casing that my young son "bought" at a show. Thought is was a standard 40mm Bofors but upon closer inspection I'm not sure. The shoulder angle seems to be all wrong.

It is stamped UMCO 1916

Hight is 15 7/8th (40mm)

Mouth: ~1 3/4 (~4.75mm)

Any help is appreciated....

Here is a standard Bofors round

Shell casing idenitifcation

And here is mine.

Shell casing idenitifcationShell casing idenitifcationShell casing idenitifcationShell casing idenitifcationShell casing idenitifcation

Regards,

Michael
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shell casing idenitifcation  
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

UMC Co. = 'Union Metallic Cartridge Company', which
    was Remington Arms at the time.........
    Regards,

Steve.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    UMC Co. = 'Union Metallic Cartridge Company', which
    was Remington Arms.........
    Thanks Steve.

Yes. Sorry but I should have phrased my question better.

Not sure what "type" of shell this is. I know the maker, but it does not look like a standard 40mm Bofors due to the angle of the shoulder.

As always you've been a big help since I've joined this forum.

Regards,

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Lol - well I try - and that was about all I could glean
    from the shell. Perhaps I should sit back and
    let the experts have a go.........
    Regards,

Steve.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Lol - well I try - and that was about all I could glean
    from the shell. Perhaps I should sit back and
    let the experts have a go.........
    ahhhh. your the expert.....at least with all the help you've given me so far! :-)

Lol - simply an 'enthusiast'.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

It looks like a 47x376R hotchkiss 3 Pdr. cannon round.....File:QF 3 pounder Round with Steel Shell.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

MAP
    ?

Quote by zwerge View Post
    It looks like a 47x376R hotchkiss 3 Pdr. cannon round.....File:QF 3 pounder Round with Steel Shell.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
    Thanks Zwerge,

I'm not an ordance expert so appreciate the feedback.

Also being a non-metric guy, I used mm when it should have read 37 cm in hight and 47mm in the throat. This solves it!

Also, would UMCO Co have made Hotchkiss rounds (assume so as I think the US used them but not sure). Would also assume that the 1916 stamp would be the date.

Don't think there is much if any value in these casing but if anyone knows it would be great to find out.

Michael

?

Hi,the US used them from 1884-1920,made by UMC,I found one listed at $85.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

MAP
    ?

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Hi,the US used them from 1884-1920,made by UMC,I found one listed at $85.....Pete.
    Thanks Pete,

A nice dealer "sold" it to my son (for $5 or so). That said, he has sure as heck made enough money off of me over the years to make up for any shortfall :-) !!!!

Michael

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast