Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Should I go for this tank shell casing?

Article about: I have looked at an Tank shell, although it's not from WW2, its said to be a 105mm shell casing from a German Leopard tank. The only 2 pictures available: The seller wants about 85 USD for t

Default Re: Should I go for this tank shell casing?

Hiya Kevlar, did you go for the shell? I bought one of those myself several years ago at a flea market, it cost me 200 kr(About 35$) back then. Personally I think the price is a bit high for that kind of shell, especially in that condition. But it's your money, and your interest
    I have actually been thinking about selling mine since I don't really collect postwar Norwegian stuff anymore(Got a lot for sale if you're interested). Where in Norway are you located?

The Norwegian army used the Leopard 1 from 1970-2008, which would explain the age etc. I think "93" is probably the date when it was loaded again, so 1993 at least.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

How great is the risk of the shell being Norwegian? I tried to google about markings, but no luck.
    The seller mentioned that it was from Germany, although I am starting to get insecure because the seller postponed a meeting and sale.

If it's a great risk that the shell is Norwegian I would rather go for another one as my field and interest lies in German items from around 1933 - 2000, but mainly ww2.
    I am located about 30 minutes north of Oslo. Although I am Norwegian my interest doesn't lie in Norwegian postwar stuff, thanks a lot for the offer. But I am afriad I have to decline.

Well, since the shell is being sold in Norway, there is a higher possibility that it has been used by the Norwegian army, possibly even produced in Norway. Will need a better picture of the markings to figure that out, or you could look for yourself(Look for "RA" markings, which stands for Raufoss Ammunisjonsfabrikk). The markings on the shell appear to be drawn on, and not stamped?
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

I bought it today, and it looks great on the shelf!
    And I can't find any RA marking(s) around the shell or anywhere, no markings at all. If there is any markings from the place, where should it be located?

Can't really get sharp pictures of the shell now, because I don't got a SD-card reader on my computer..

But inside its a long stick standing in the middle from the fuse on the back. Is this the thing that ignite the gunpowder inside?
    Should I go for this tank shell casing?

Darn! If you didn't live so far away i have some Leopard Tank Periscopes and you could of had one! Nice looking shell by the way

The markings should(If they are there) be at the bottom of the shell, where markings usually are. I'll show you mine at a later time. My shell also has the "long stick", it's probably a part of the ignition.
    Looks good
    Best Regards

Vegard T.

?

Thanks anyways Edelweiss123, really appreciate it!
    Some of the almost invisible markings under the shell say "DM 60 L...something", hard to see. Would be great to see your shell, to compare too!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3