Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Some old cartridges

Article about: I just thought I'd share some of my older black powder and some not so common cartridges with you. From left to right we have .56-50 Spencer, .58-60-500(.58 Musket) for the Allin conversion

Default Some old cartridges

I just thought I'd share some of my older black powder and some not so common cartridges with you.

Some old cartridges
    Some old cartridges

From left to right we have .56-50 Spencer, .58-60-500(.58 Musket) for the Allin conversion Trapdoor rifle, .50-70, .45 govt(.45-70-405) head stamped for Rifle, next one is .45-70 head stamped for carbine, but the bullet seems too big. The dealer told me it was for a gatling gun, but the head stamp says otherwise. (I have to do more digging on this one) .45 govt(.45-70-500) berdan primed, and .45 colt, like the 2 .45 govt, Benet cup primed. The .45s are Frankford aresenal, even though it was te only arsenal making ammunition at the time.

Some old cartridges
    Some old cartridgesSome old cartridges

.45 colt, .45 schofield, .50 Remington single shot, .38 long colt(UMC)

Some old cartridges

.30 govt(.30-40 Krag) paper bullet, .30 govt tinned cartridge, .30-06, .30 Pederson, .276 Pederson (lube #2) (lube #1). I can't remember the name of the finned looking bullet, but it was developed late in ww2 but never used, it was considered too inhumane. Instead it was given to the French during their stint in vietnam. They were put into cardboard boxes and dropped out of a plane, the weight/speed of the fall was supposed to be equal to getting shot with a .45. I read that the Americans gave them to the French to use at Dien Bien Phu on the anti-aircraft positions.

Some old cartridges

Boyz anti-tank .55, with stripper clip, wish it was full

Some old cartridges

from what I remember, this was for a blank round.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some old cartridges   Some old cartridges  

Default Re: Some old cartridges

Great cartridges. I like those real oldies.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Thank you, glad you liked them. I like the oldies too, I'm still on the look out for a .44 henry, and some other .45 govt with earlier head stamps. A lot of history in a small package

?

I like the oldies too,very nice selection. .Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

many thanks for posting these oldies. Always interested in these old cartridges.

Very nice collection...Those oldies look mystic & romantic...
    Regards, Thanos.

Thank you guys, glad you like them. I started collecting these at first because I thought they would be more affordable than trying to find all the rifles and pistols they are for. Then i found out that wasn't always true, but too late, I was hooked lol.

I knew that the Benet cup primer as an early version, but I found another style called a Martin primer. It was still an internal primer, but they folded the case head over the whole thing instead of crimping it. Another one I have to find.

Here's what the Benet cup looked like
    Some old cartridges

and the Martin
    Some old cartridges

?

Stinkpotpete - It should not be hard to find some more Armour Piercing W mark I rounds to complete your Boys clip. The W Mark I seems to be far more common in the U.S. than the W Mark II for some reason, rather the opposite to the case here in the U.K.

Would you humour me please and remove the offending apostrophe from the label on the clip? It is not a "Boy's" rifle but a "Boys", named after Captain Boys of the Superintendent of Design's Office who died during the development of the rifle. He was also the author/editor of the well known "Text Book of Small Arms 1929".

Regards and thanks
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

No worries Tony, I took it off, the seller had that on there. It's been sat on the shelf so long I forgot that tag was still on it lol. I read an article about the rifles, and it seems they were fairly easy to buy here at one time, so alot of teh ammunition was sold as well, but alot had been converted to .50 BMG. I thought they would be easier to find here, but that's the only cartridge I'd ever seen at a show. It's sad, most of the cartridge collectors I've met were older gentlemen, and you don't see them at the shows like you used to. The one seller who still shows up is well into his 90s and is starting to sell off what he has, so has less that I don't have already. I need to try some shows in other states and see who has something different I think.

k98
    ?

very nice very very clean colection ,,its like new almoust i find this year 350 ... nice condition nice stamp i hope you not uppset if i share some picture WITH FEW TANK YOU
    Last edited by k98; 05-23-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast