Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stielhandgranate M24 - 1938

Article about: As a few of you know, I've been after the right M24 example for a while now. The wait has finally paid off. This M24 has it all. The printed white text "VOR GEBRAUCH SPRENGKAPSEL EINSET

Default Stielhandgranate M24 - 1938

As a few of you know, I've been after the right M24 example for a while now. The wait has finally paid off.

This M24 has it all. The printed white text "VOR GEBRAUCH SPRENGKAPSEL EINSETZEN" meaning "Before use insert detonator" is all there and very readable. Just below it in black, and a little harder to read, I believe is "SK 239". The top of the canister sports "RR564 1938" for Richard Rinker, and the stick has a matching designation. Also on top of the canister is a fantastic W.a.A 562 waffenamt, and two such identical "562" stamps can be found on the stick. Without question, this grenade is complete as the day it was new, and as it was when it was first inspected for service with all parts matching.

The grenade has been interted by opening the crimp of the canister, and was surprisingly well done considering this process usually chews up the crimp in an ugly way. And, the upside to this method is that we get to see the detonator well still intact.

The canister weighs 127g on its own. The stick, canister, and pull cord together (everything basically) weighs 344.2g.

While I've studied M24's in the pursuit of this one, this is the first time I've held one. They are a lot bigger than I expected. I can see the advantage of their design when using/throwing one, but carrying them in the field seems like it would be quite clunky and maybe even at times get in the way in critical moments. It's not the stone sized object a person thinks of when they imagine a grenade, but rather they truly earn their moniker "potato masher".

Nice condition m24 , you don't see so many in this condition these days

PRE
    ?

Very nice! I like it.
    Pat

great find.

Awesome find and in great shape with fine pics. Super treasure!!

This is the nicest example I have seen! Great markings and not all hacked up. Excellent! Bob

Terrific. Kind of jealous though. I am putting one together. May I ask what it cost? NH

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    Terrific. Kind of jealous though. I am putting one together. May I ask what it cost? NH
    Man, I really hate to say. I don't think you guys would respect me anymore.

I saw a whole rack of these sell out over at WAF for $650 a piece a few months back. That guy was firm on them too, so I assume they went for that. They weren't quite as nice as this one though, but were similar. This one wasn't that much, but was in the neighborhood. I bought it from a dealer, so I know I was probably not getting the best deal price-wise. That said, who knows how long I would have to wait to find another like it. It took 2 years to find this one.

Stielhandgranate M24 - 1938Thanks for the reply. I totally respect you! There are a ton of dewat grenades out there but they all look like crap. Your example is museum quality. I finally found an intact stick that does not look too bad. Got the cap and fuse/string/ball combo. Looking for an intact (dewat) head. Sometimes they show up on ebay listed as pencil holders - I kid you not. NH

Thanks Neil.

That's a nice conditioned stick! Is that part of the one you're putting together? Have you found a canister yet?
    Last edited by avenger; 08-20-2016 at 03:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast