Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Strange .303 round...

Article about: Hi everybody, I was doing some metal detecting in a field behind my house as my neighbour told me a Bitish plane had crashed on the field during the 2nd ww. I came up with all bits and bobs

Default Strange .303 round...

Hi everybody, I was doing some metal detecting in a field behind my house as my neighbour told me a Bitish plane had crashed on the field during the 2nd ww. I came up with all bits and bobs like plexi glass and bakelite pieces shattered around the site, digging up signal after signal. The place is just littered with pieces of aircraft, bent, twisted and beyond any reconision for me. I will post the plane parts later on when I have taken some good pictures, maybe one of the members here will know something about the parts, and of what plane they belong.
    Among the wreckage pieces I also found many British .303 rounds. Strange enough they date from 1915 up to 1939! So they could have been using old stock amo, or there were British troops in the same field in ww1. Some of the buttons and buckles I found look very much ww1 to me, so it might well be a fact this field saw action in both wars {it is not very far from Ypres} or they indeed used a mixed bag of equipment.
    Now my question is, I found a .303 bullet without the case, just the head that I have never seen or found before. It has a screw in the back, in the base of the projectile. As I didn't know what it is I didn't take it with me, just in case it could be dangerous.
    Could this be a phosphorus round, an incendiarie round or just a plain tracer? I know where I left it so I could run over tomorrow and take a picture to show what I mean.
    Thanks for any input!

It sounds like a B Mk VI Incendiary

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/img083.jpg

I'm sure Tony E will correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers Gary

Cheers GAry, that seems to be the one on the right! Dangerous to keep I think, so I did the right thing to leave it behind.

?

Yes, Incendiary B Mark VI. This is a chemical incendiary that uses SR 365, not phosphorus as the incendiary compound.

More details on my website here;

https://sites.google.com/site/britmi...nch-incendiary

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Thanks Tony!

you will get lots of WW1/2 in that area.