Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Strange handle grenades.( question).

Article about: Greetings to all! That's the unusual pen grenade with cutouts .. Maybe one of the varieties of handles grenades Nebel39?

Default Strange handle grenades.( question).

Greetings to all!
    That's the unusual pen grenade with cutouts ..
    Maybe one of the varieties of handles grenades Nebel39?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Strange handle grenades.( question).   Strange handle grenades.( question).  

Strange handle grenades.( question).  

Very interesting, never seen it before.

New to me too. I have seen the ribbed smoke grenade stick, it makes sense that it is a smoke grenade or some other type that would require fast ID, even just by touch in a dark environment. I am not any expert with this type of thing, what other variants of the stick grenade were there, incendiary perhaps?

An odd thought, but why would anyone be throwing smoke grenades in a dark environment?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I suppose under extreme combat conditions where every second counts...you wouldn't want smoke when you need steel, lol...
    I admit I've never seen this before...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    An odd thought, but why would anyone be throwing smoke grenades in a dark environment?
    lol, a fair and sensible point mate. I assumed the difference in the handles on the regular smoke grenades and frag are for something like that purpose, if not darkness at least ID the type without looking at it. Useful in combat I reckon. The flare cartridges have a similar system for telling colour, the edges of the head are saw-toothed different ways for different colours.

The M24 Stielhandgranate was produced in a smokescreen version, which existed in an early and later model and is easily identified by a white band around the handle and (on the later model from around 1940-41) a grooved handgrip to permit a user to differentiate it from the regular explosive version in the dark by touch alone. The marking RR/90 is the trademark for the Richard Rinker Co., and the 90 is the code number for the sub contractor who made it, in this case Bergmann Electrizitatswerke AG of Berlin-Wilhelmruh.

If you put yourself in the position of being in a tight spot, in the pitch dark, with a mixture of H.E. and smoke grenades on you, it's nice to know what type you're throwing without putting a light on! When the moment arises that ribbed handle comes into it's own.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi.

These handles belong to this variant of M24.
    it is a chemical type ( teargas ) it then changed to a normal can without the hex on top and with yellow stripe.
    was not used for very long.

hope his helps clarify further on the handle.

Kind Regards Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Strange handle grenades.( question).