MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tail of the torpedo.

Article about: Many years ago I made a switch with my friend. I got this and he got air rifle.It´s measures are (if I remember right) approximately 60*60 cm. I don´t find any markings but same number in ma

?

Oh sure, I'd have been really surprised if such special parts as the gyroscope and depth-keeping mechanism weren't marked- but the tail too is fairly important since it has at least the rudders; I'd have thought it too would be inspected and have acceptance marks or maker code or a serial number or something. Well it's certainly very useful information to know- lack of markings doesn't necessarily make something not German, despite their propensity to mark the heck out of things
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Just to avoid any confusion: I'm referring to external markings, and I just realized you might have referred to the typical manufacturer-signs etc... (I'm a bit "slow" sometimes + my english is not that good... ;-) ).

I have never seen any of those typical signs/three-letter codes you find on guns etc., but I can't guarantee that there weren't some parts with such marking (I just haven't examined the torpedo and -parts in such detail). I only have a few parts at hand, and there are no marks on them though.
    I will make a note of this, and have a more close search for this when I get access to the torpedoes and -parts we have at Herdla on my next trip there (I'm currently sick, so I don't know when I will be able to).

I doubt that I'll find anything like you see on guns, optics etc (the eagle and swastica are for sure not to be found, except on a couple of original tools - mostly tools is just marked "Kriegsmarine" and name of manufacture - typically "Gedore" - though), but I will check for it.
    Note that most german torpedoes in existance today have seen post-war usage, and might have gotten new markings - even new/modified parts as well, which make things a bit complicated.

I am attaching some photos with examples of text and serialnumbers on german G7 torpedoparts. As the filename is removed by the forum, here are the list (read from left-right/top-bottom):
    G7_aftsection (adjustment of gyroscope initial course).jpg
    G7_aftsection (LUT-settings).jpg
    G7_aftsection (oil-screw for gyroscope).jpg
    G7_aftsection (overpressurevavle).jpg
    G7_aftsection (plug for adjustment of rudderposition during locking-distance).jpg
    G7_depthmechanism (lead-pendulum).jpg
    G7_depthmechanism.jpg
    G7_enginecompartment (haltebolzenwiderlager).jpg
    G7_exersicehead type 1210.jpg
    G7_Pistol Pi1_1.jpg
    G7_Pistol Pi1_2.jpg
    G7_Pistol Pi1_3.jpg
    G7_Pistol PiG7H_1.jpg
    G7_Pistol PiG7H_2.jpg
    G7_warhead_1.jpg
    G7_warhead_2.jpg
    G7_warhead_3.jpg
    G7a_afsection-joint (bottom).jpg
    G7a_afsection-joint (top) 1.jpg
    G7a_afsection-joint (top) 2.jpg
    G7a_enginecompartment (plug for overheatingsafety).jpg
    G7a_enginecompartment (top).jpg
    G7a_front propeller.jpg
    G7a_tailpiece.jpg
    G7a_watercompartment (plug for fuel-filling).jpg
    G7a_watercompartment (plug for oil-filling).jpg
    G7a_watercompartment (plug for water-filling and main shutoff-valve for air).jpg

(all photos are from G7a's, but were it says "G7" it's identical on the G7e).

Btw - I am in the process of locating all existing german WW2 torpedoes and midget subs. Please have a look at my lists, and let me know if you see any errors or have info on objects not on the list:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0torpedoes.pdf
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...submarines.pdf
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tail of the torpedo.   Tail of the torpedo.  

Tail of the torpedo.   Tail of the torpedo.  

Tail of the torpedo.  

?

Quote by Natter View Post
    The gyroscope was matched and adjusted for each individual torpedo and taken out during transport in it's own wooden crate (were it was mounted in a suspension to avoid damage from impacts).
    The crate for transporting the standard GA VIII gyroscope for G7a / G7e torpedoes:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tail of the torpedo.   Tail of the torpedo.  

?

Okay, see that's the kind of marking I meant and would certainly expect from a torpedo LOL Great images- thanks much for posting them; I've always wanted to see decent shots of a G7 but haven't ever been able to find anything much. And the lists are great- I'm actually surprised so many torpedoes still exist, and it's nice to know where they are- great work there.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Okay, see that's the kind of marking I meant and would certainly expect from a torpedo LOL Great images- thanks much for posting them; I've always wanted to see decent shots of a G7 but haven't ever been able to find anything much.
    I have a lot of detail-photos (and can take more) so let me know if you have a specific wish.

As the topic here was the tail, I just want to specify that the G7a tail I posted photo of (third row from the bottom, to the right of the propeller-pic) is the same torpedo you posted a photo of earlier (it's the one on display at the Norwegian Armed Forces Musem at Akershus castle in Oslo). As you probably can see, this one has the serial engraved at the tip of the tailpiece, as well as on a small brass-shield just aft of the propeller. Both are post-war additions though.

Quote by Matt L View Post
    And the lists are great- I'm actually surprised so many torpedoes still exist, and it's nice to know where they are- great work there.
    Thanks. Still a work in progress though - I'm sure there are more, so I need help (I am also collecting photos of all objects, to be added on the list).

I just came across your amazing post on torpedoes (from four years ago). One thing that I have often been curious about is whether the Kriegsmarine used propellors with six blades on their torpedoes or not. I have seen many different arguments about this, but most say that the six bladed propellor was post-war to G7 types. Certainly the only photos of wartime torpedoes all seem to have four bladed propellors. I noticed that one of your photographs seemed to have a six bladed propellor - can you verify that this is definitely from a wartime torpedoe? Are you still actively researching the subject in general. I tried to send a PM but couldn't get through, so am disinterring this thread. Many thanks Keith

?

Quote by Keith Ric View Post
    I have seen many different arguments about this, but most say that the six bladed propellor was post-war
    No, that's not correct.

Also, I have never heard of any major modification of the torpedo post-war, besides the danish and norwegian implemention of wire-guidance in the 60's. Spare parts were made post war, but in a small scale, and it was mainly for minor parts like plugs and certain tools etc.

G7 types
    Note that "G7" is just a designation saying it's a torpedo of 533,4 mm diametre and with a lenght of approximately 7 m (I have tried to explain the german designation-system in this Wikipedia-article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...oes_of_Germany ).

The G7a(TI) torpedo was originally designed with a set of 4 blade propellors in the 1920's. It went through several designchanges for different reasons (there were for instance problems with both the engine and the depth-mechanism). At some point the propellors were also exchanged to a set with six blades. I'm not sure when this happened, but it was early in the war - at least before autumn of 1941 (older torpedoes with 4 blade propellors were of course used as long stocks lasted). I am attaching a page from M.Dv.Nr. 358A Torpedo G7a Zeichnungen, illustrating the old and new propellor.

In addition, as resources became sparse, they needed to replace a lot of the expensive materials like nickle, brass, bronze and copper. Among the changes were switching the material of the propellors from brass to steel. Ie: 6-blade brass propellors are from early/mid-part of the war.

The electrical torpedoes - G7e(TII / TIII / TIV / TV / TVI / TX / TXI) - were all eqipped with 2-blade propellors.

Are you still actively researching the subject in general.
    Yes, certainly.

I tried to send a PM but couldn't get through, so am disinterring this thread. Many thanks Keith
    No PM as far as I can see... Feel free to email me (bergen31 at yahoo.com). Note that I'm struggling with some healthissues and need to stay away from the computer for long periods, so replies might take a while.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tail of the torpedo.  

?

Here are a couple of wartime photos of G7a(TI) with 6-blade propellors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2