Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tiger II 88 mm Round

Article about: Well you can't send pictures to people using the forum system- as an attachment to a PM or email that is; you'd just have to get everyone's email address and send it yourself like a regular

pmccombs
    ?

Default Tiger II 88 mm Round

Another recent acquision from auction. A 88 mm Tiger Tank II round.
    Base marked 8.8 cm KwK 43.
    The KwK 43 (Kampfwagenkanone-fighting vehicle cannon) was the primary armament of the Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausf.B "Tiger II"
    The base mark on this 88mm round ID's it to the TigerII.
    A M-35 DD SS helmet in photo to add perspective
    Best
    Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tiger II 88 mm Round   Tiger II 88 mm Round  

Tiger II 88 mm Round   Tiger II 88 mm Round  

Tiger II 88 mm Round  
    Attached Images Attached Images Tiger II 88 mm Round  Tiger II 88 mm Round  Tiger II 88 mm Round  Tiger II 88 mm Round 

pmccombs
    ?

Default Re: Tiger II 88 mm Round

Forgot to add this one...Most important photo!
    Attached Images Attached Images Tiger II 88 mm Round 

?

That's a very nice example- but it's the ink markings on the side that identify specifically which guns it's appropriate for, not the base stamp; this one seems to be right for the KwK43 (Königstiger) and I see the Pak43/3 (Jagdpanther) but there're 4 altogether so the majority of forms- which others specifically are there?

The 8,8cm KwK 43/Pak 43 was mounted on the Hornisse/Nashorn (Pak43/1) and Ferdinand/Elefant (Pak43/2) and it was a proper anti-tank gun too as the Pak43/41. All used the same 6388St case and it seems always marked KwK43- so that doesn't actually indicated it as for the Königstiger; see the attached image- a Sprgr.43 round with the standard 6388St case marked 'KwK43' but the stencilled information on the packing crate (and on the case, but not visibly in the shot) shows the round appropriate for any of the forms of the 8,8cm L/71 gun.

Having been made in 1944, when all the vehicles and the stationary gun were in service, your round could have been used in any of them (if it were actually issued of course), so it's not truly a Königstiger round, but rather an 8,8cm KwK43 (Pak43 u 43/1/2/3 [whichever are listed on the case], Pak43/41) L/71 Pzgr.39/43 round.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tiger II 88 mm Round  
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

HVK
    ?

It is an extremely BIG round for handling in a tank ...... Thank you for showing.... :-)

pmccombs
    ?

Thank you so much Matt. How can I furthur make a determination about the gun it was used in. Printing on casing is worn and difficult to discern. what do I need to look for.
    Best, Paul

?

The top grouping of text will do it- it usually reads:

8,8cm
    KwK 43
    Pak 43 u. 43/ nnn
    Pak 43/41

and it's the 'nnn' numbers after the slash(es) that designate specifically which guns- as I mentioned, the 1 was the Hornisse/Nashorn, 2 the Ferdinand/Elefant, 3 (and 4 I think) the Jagdpanther, and the Pak43/41 was the towed gun.

pmccombs
    ?

Hi Matt
    Best I can make out is on the 3rd line on the top grouping
    after Pak 43 u. 43/ are the numbers " 1/4/3"
    Thoughts?
    Thanks, Paul

?

It's a bit strange that the numbers aren't in numerical order- I'd expect one or the other of 3 or 4 would be missing since they're both for the Jagdpanther; but if they are indeed 1, 3 and 4 that leaves out the Ferdinand/Elefant gun, so your round is suitable for the Königstiger, Hornisse/Nashorn, any Jagdpanther and the anti-tank gun.

israel
    ?

so nice

Paul, I am keen on buying one of these myself. So far I have only found one for near on £4000, can I ask how much your Tiger II round cost?
    Thanks, Simon.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast