Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Trench Art Letter Opener

Article about: Hello! This evening (EDT) I'd like to share with you one of this week's finds. This trench art letter opener came out of the same garage as the Luftshutz helmet in my previous forum post. Ho

Default Trench Art Letter Opener

Hello!

This evening (EDT) I'd like to share with you one of this week's finds. This trench art letter opener came out of the same garage as the Luftshutz helmet in my previous forum post. However I feel this piece predates the helmet by some time. I understand trench art letter openers are quite common however I am unfamiliar with the the markings on this shell and would appreciate any insight as to its age and origins!
    Trench Art Letter OpenerTrench Art Letter Opener
    Thank you!

The round is a US .30-06 as used in the M1 rifle and other weapons. Appears to have been made by Union Metallic Cartridge Co. of Bridgeport, CT in 1942 (might want to double check the maker). I have one that is very similar although on the "blade" it is marked "Philippines 45".

Thank you for your expertise and the welcome information Spitace41!

MAP
    ?

A nice little piece to accentuate a collection.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

This style of letter opener is very common. Almost makes you wonder if they held a night class on letter opener making.