Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

'Trench' art from WW2

Article about: My grandpa was in WW2 in the 863rd engineer aviation battalion. When he came back he brought several souvenirs one being this shell casing that has another shell welded in and I think had th

jjbweb
    ?

Default 'Trench' art from WW2

My grandpa was in WW2 in the 863rd engineer aviation battalion. When he came back he brought several souvenirs one being this shell casing that has another shell welded in and I think had three coins welded to it also. The pics are below. What can you tell me about the main shell?
    'Trench' art from WW2'Trench' art from WW2'Trench' art from WW2

jjbweb
    ?

about the only legible inscriptions that I could pull off this has --- 40 mm no 12 lot 411 1942 c/c IV 11/21 40 m/m II A G / C 1 /42 Sc/C

AIF
    ?

Hi nice piece, these were very common souvenirs in the Pacific theatre and came in many variations. The base is a cut down 1942 dated 40mm Bofors anti aircraft shell. The smaller casing in the centre is probably an American 30-06 or possibly a Japanese round. It most probably had the projectile in it originally but has been lost over the years.

I think you would be correct about the coins, they usually had Australian silver coins or one side of a rifle cartridge that had been cut down and shaped on the edges for the cigarettes to rest on.

If can remember correctly the 863rd Engineer Aviation Battalion was in New Guinea, so more than likely where it was made during some down time. Hope this helps

Looks like it's a Canadian manufactured shell.