Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown Cartridge - blank?

Article about: I am hoping that someone can advise me what the new cartridge is that i have. It was given to me by a friend who recently carried out some work at a disused building - which is used by the p

?

Default Unknown Cartridge - blank?

I am hoping that someone can advise me what the new cartridge is that i have.

It was given to me by a friend who recently carried out some work at a disused building - which is used by the police for firearms training.

It appears to be a 5.56mm cartridge, however it has what looks like an aluminium end to it?
    The markings on the base are: 556 I V I 03

Anyone know if it is just a new type of blank round - or something different?

(Sorry about the bad picture)

Thanks

Jimbo

Unknown Cartridge - blank?

?

Default Re: Unknown Cartridge - blank?

Broken case extractor? Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

The shoulder (I think thats what its called) looks too high compared to a normal 5.56mm/.223 round. I think that it might be some sort of armourers tool similar to a headspace gauge, it might possibly be a laser bore sighter too?

Thanks

Danny

Reg
    ?

The Army were experimenting some years ago with "simmunition" a sort of high velocity paintball fired from unmodified rifles, apparently it stung like hell to get hit.....incentive to "play" more realistically I suppose LOL. It MAY be somthing like that, certainly never seen anything like that case before.

Cheers
    Reg

5.56 sim-munition for non lethal close range training ,headstamp is 556 IVI 03
    Simunition – Cartridges – FX Training System

apologies for quality of photos as my example is cased and behind glass
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Cartridge - blank?   Unknown Cartridge - blank?  

Last edited by spotter; 01-23-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: added image of headstamp

I think this could be a snap cap or similar, does the head push into the case on a spring? If the silver porsion was pushed inside the brass bit, it would resemble the correct case for a 5.56 round. The strange thing is that I believe the Police use .223 commersial ammo as 5.56 is a military spec ammo. Just thought though, you may be in the US in which case they could use 5.56

?

Thank you all for your comments.
    Looks as though it is a Sim-munition round then, never seen one before!

m3bobby - I am in the southern england, the building is very large, with most of the furnishings remaining. It was only my friend who told me that it was the police that used the building, however it could have been part of the military?

Thanks
    Jimbo

Agh yes, I see it now, it is a Sim-munition, it must be reusable and the middle can be pulled out for reloading. I have a .38 one which has a black plastic case. I also have some 9mm carts that have rubber bullets and are fired using primer caps only. They came from a police training area when my dad was training to be a Armed responce officer, he never finished the course as he was offred his old job back of being a dog handler.